The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project Red Bird - (Cure Leukaemia Supra)

Nodalmighty

A White car with a yellow roof (for Steven Sutton) and red graphics supporting Cure Leukaemia, Teenage Cancer trust, Give Blood and Cancer UK.

A 1994 NA Auto shell in 199 silver stripped to the bone and awaiting rollcage, paint and seat. She's booted in GS300 Sport Diamond cut Alloys.

Engine : 6000cc VORTEC iron block V8 with 4 bolt mains, sports intake with 90mm TBW, big cam and custom headers, LS2 heads, circa 500bhp na, solid mounted

GearBox : Tremec TR6060 solid(ish) mounted

ECU : Ecu Master EMU with TBW module.

Exhaust : Hooker Headers, with custom collector/balance pipe into the 3" NA Catback system that is already on the car

Suspension : MeisterR GT1, Stock arms with a few Poly bushes where appropriate. Rear sub frame solid mounted,

Brakes : TBD

Shell : 18 point cage, stripped to the bone drilled where possible. Ibbra Low level rear spoiler, JDL skirts and rear Arches, Generic Ebay front lip (3 duct) custom aero pack.

Should make for a good track car with reasonable road manners.

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

This is a build thread.

Nothing has happened yet really, I've just put then pieces in place to get this finally off the ground. The 2jz GE motor is going to Josh42 and NA and TT Autoboxes will be for sale as a Hybrid combo (or if some one wants a TT auto box I will split as I have a customer who needs a NA auto to build a David P Hybrid). The interior is stripped out to the metal and the dash and dash panels have been flocked ready. I plan to insert a 22" LED Monitor through a slot in the top of the dash so I can Have a full on video dash board and additional above the dash (with the 3 Supra clock windows and a carbon fibre cowl over the top with the top of the screen giving more data displays. I have the Quixant 12v Solid state Gaming PC just need a loom and a cover plate from them as I saved it from the skip. It has additional inputs and outputs for video gaming fruity boxes for bulbs and buttons that can run the lights and interface to the EMU. I might run another monitor on the passenger side as the Quixant has 2 two dvi outputs.

I have the EMU Ecu and loom, wide band and a 2 EGT probes and Knock sensors ready to go.

First purchase will be the Vortec motor as they are about £900 landed. TR6060 boxes are about £2200 with a choice of shifter positions. Clutch will be a simple single Center uprated job and a Custom prop circa £120

Should have it up and running for 5k. The big Push will happen March 2015.

Here is the donor car looking sorry for itself.

http://www.nod-land.co.uk/ForumStuff/2014-03-14 16.23.42.jpg

http://www.nod-land.co.uk/ForumStuff/2014-03-14 16.23.56.jpg

Lyndon.

Project has been around for a while in one form or another, but I change my mind about which way to go like I change my underpants. One minute it's for the scrap, next it will be turbo NA - T, then 1800bhp 300 mile an hour top speed car then for the scrap again. This is a base line for what it will become over the next 5 years. I hope to have it ready for summer next year as per the above spec.

Lyndon.

Good luck with this one mate, I did a mk3 (see my avatar for pic) with a 383cu lightened and balanced small block Chevy V8 a few years ago. It's surprisingly easy as the American stuff is very basic to work with. Mine had about 4 - 450 bhp but the torque was massive, good fun car to drive and made the most amazing noise as I had a pretty much straight through exhaust.

When I sold it I had to break it and the engine and box went to a 65 year old retired guy who races 240z's, said he was buying it for the z as he was fed up with his mates passing him lol, respect!!!!

This sounds mental. And right up my street with the multimedia! Any idea how you'll be powering the PC? Just running it through the ignition I'm guessing?

You could always run a few bullet cams through the PC to get some good footage from where you wanted. I always fancied the idea of installing a GPS for some accurate speed and track analysis such as corner speed etc. :cool: I never looked into it too much though, guess the software would be the big killer.

Good luck with the build dude, will be watching with interest :)

This sounds mental. And right up my street with the multimedia! Any idea how you'll be powering the PC? Just running it through the ignition I'm guessing?

You could always run a few bullet cams through the PC to get some good footage from where you wanted. I always fancied the idea of installing a GPS for some accurate speed and track analysis such as corner speed etc. :cool: I never looked into it too much though, guess the software would be the big killer.

Good luck with the build dude, will be watching with interest :)

Why don't you look into race car telemetry? That's the way to get 'proper' data for track driving.

Why don't you look into race car telemetry? That's the way to get 'proper' data for track driving.

For me it was just something that I wanted to see if it could be done on a carpc. I already had it installed so just looked into it a little. But in this case you're probably right Gaz, this would all run through the ECU I'm guessing?

For me it was just something that I wanted to see if it could be done on a carpc. I already had it installed so just looked into it a little. But in this case you're probably right Gaz, this would all run through the ECU I'm guessing?

Doesn't have to at all. There are all sorts of things you could factor in, such as GPS compared to wheel speed through corners. That really opens up proper lap times. Plenty more besides! Tyre pressure monitoring, the list goes on. Depends how 'race' you want to go with it. The things I'm talking about are the things you'll need to be quickest, not necessarily look the best :)

The Quixant has a 12v-24v internal PS. Look here http://www.quixant.com/products/qxi-200. This is what I have.

Yank power is a lot of bang for your buck.

Tremec TR6060 is a monster of a gearbox and would make a good alternative to the v160/161. The old Getrag is expensive second hand and finding one with low miles is getting difficult.

Lyndon.

• 3 weeks later...

Link / ViPec are sponsoring the ECU, sensors / loom pack thanks to my association with Lewis Rally Sport (more Specifically, Warner Lewis ;-) )

Cage / Chassis triangulation and Paint will be done by Lewis Rally Sport through skill trade.

Engine Building and Gearbox, prop fitting and general piping up will be done by Craig @ Dyno Torque through skill trade.

So that's the ECU sorted. Just need a Brake, Suspension and Tyre sponsors :-)

Lyndon.

I'm also trying to get my old silicon nitride ceramic ball bearing turbo back so I an get it duplicated and/or uprated to a more modern spec (it is over 10 years old now).

It was rated at about 800bhp so I think it could be upgraded to 900bhp with more modern internals and then duplicated for the other bank ;-)

Lyndon.

I'm going to get the Supras weight down as much as possible, by cutting everything off that is not needed and drilling and hole sawing anything that wont harm the structural integrity. The roll cage will tie into front struts, chassis legs and the rear sub frame anchor points and turret tops to reenforce the shell so hopefully I can be quite ruthless.

Lyndon.

• 4 weeks later...
Sounds good Lyndon, are you planning on racing it or trackdays? just wondered what cat you could get into if racing.

Track days I think. Because of the V8 it's illegal in most motor sport classes. I was going to go hill climbing but I'd be in the top class up against one off light weight Sports Libra cars and get massacred .

I'm open to suggestions (It won't be loud, just nice :D) ?

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

The Engine has Landed. Came with iron heads so Craig is weighing them in and fitting LS1 Higher Compression alloy heads. With a cam, intake and headers it should be circa 500bhp, not sure what torque figure.

http://nod-land.co.uk/ForumStuff/vortec1.jpg

http://nod-land.co.uk/ForumStuff/vortec2.jpg

Lyndon.