The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pulled over!

masterfett

Driving along this evening i passed a police car, i was under the speed limit and to be honest driving like a granny (had popped to the local shop for some supplies) he pulled out and followed me for about 1/2 a mile until a viable place to pull me over cropped up, and you guessed it on come the lights.

Pulling over wondering what could possibly be the problem i unwound my window and waited patiently.

Police officer walks up to my window and asks me "if i would mind stepping out"

Of course i reply "no of course not"

he then went on to say something along the lines of "i am really sorry, i am not stopping you for any reason in particular i just wondered if you had 5 minutes to talk to me about the supra"

i was a bit taken back, but knowing i had done nothing wrong and quite happy to bore anyone to the back teeth about my car i obviously obliged!

turns out Mike (the officer) is a bit of a petrol head and owns an ultima GTR , he was impressed with my car and the fact that it was stock and not dressed in a silly body kit, he also seemed very happy that it was still a twin turbo (granted i have the whifbitz hybrids) but in his own words, "i love the performance they make stock, everyone wants big singles i dont see the point"

At this point the chap had my attention, he used to own a supra and knew his stuff, was a thoroughly refreshing chat and proof not all the boys in blue are assholes!

We got our very own boys in blue on this very forum, loads of petrol head police, just not the majority of them. :)

Like you I'd happily chat until one of us died of starvation, did you tell him he needed a supercharged V8 in his Ultima GTR. :D

One of my neighbours is a sargent for Surrey traffic. He keeps offering a race in his VRS Skoda.

I was pulled up not long ago for the glow off my stereo being mistaken for a mobile phone. Once he'd lectured me on the dangers of using a mobile phone (which I wasn't using...) and asked me to put a legal plate on the front (which I did...), all he was interested in was the car. Didn't believe that the fastest I'd driven in was 70mph though. He did say he was hoping for a "Failure to stop" as he reckoned their 530d would have kept up.

They ain't all bad. Just a few jobsworths that spoil the apple cart.

I bet you "spoke to the judge" to get off with it. Come on, share with the group.

On a separate note. Had a lucky escape today, car hadn't moved for a couple of months so I decided to get my kerbed alloy looked at. I pulled out of an industrial estate and having not blown the cobwebs out of the turbos, decided to floor the car on an A road, 40 limit. I was only going to give the car a quick blast from a rolling start but I got flashed by another car as I straightened up.

1/4 mile down the road, was two coppers with a speed gun.

I just rolled past at 35 hoping they didn't take an interest in the exhaust.

H.

was just refreshing you know?

A job is a job in my eyes, and whilst laws do apply it was nice to meet someone who wasn't going to be biased toward the fact i potentially could drive like a loony!

also he made me laugh because he commented on the fact the local Impreza boys that gather in the aldi car park once a week " Spend the evening reving there engines and ragging it through the town only to be pulled over"

and i quote " waste money on an engine that wont survive more that 350 bhp" ... guy was a legend and knew his stuff :)

We got our very own boys in blue on this very forum, loads of petrol head police, just not the majority of them. :)

Like you I'd happily chat until one of us died of starvation, did you tell him he needed a supercharged V8 in his Ultima GTR. :D

Who is it i should butter up then ;)

Great story, it's nice to hear about the good coppers, I have a lot of respect for the job they do. It can't be easy to be so patient with a lot of the abuse they get. It's a shame when you hear about the jobsworth ones that ruin it.