The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Japspeed Front and Rear Upper Control Arms

Hassan

I just bought these from Japspeed. Front and rear upper control arms. These are fully adjustable too. Look very well made.

Is anyone using these? What are your thoughts on these? They also do the front and rear lower control arms plus rear toe rod and rear traction rod arms too. Im thinking about buying them too.

I asked the same question before, didnt get very many good answers.

Would be better with some proper usage reviews however, and over time reviews.

Maybe now we can get some from Hassan :)

I'd like to refresh all the suspension components of the car at some point, so hearing all this would be quite useful.

Well the plan is to buy the whole set. I want to change all the arms. Once i get them fitted i will take lots off pics and write a review on the ride quilaty.

The ride quality will be reduced from stock.

These have solid bushes and therefore really only intended for the track so they will be pretty unforgiving with our lumpy, pot holey, cracked, crappy roads.

Not to mention they will wear very quickly because of our roads.

I saw these a couple of years ago and was surprised and skeptical about their price.

I did a bit of digging and I didn't find anyone (back then) who had taken the plunge and started to use them.

Your findings will be intriguing - Subscribed :)

I made an enquiry with the ikeya brand which is much better, but they require the ball joints to be changed every few thousand miles as the grit dirt gets into the ball joints. That would sound the same case with these, personally I would stick with stock they are not expensive to replace.

They are junk, friend had them on his Skyline , rusted and started knocking after a few hundred KM's, had to get a new set after a year , knocked again even after they said they had a new design , he just got Nismo

I would only get OEM unless it was a track car and then Ikeya formula but the rose joints would need replacing on a regular basis plus I dont think the Ikeya formula rose joints are the best quality to start with.

Toyota spemd a few pound on the R&D , some of the oem arms (Front upper arms I think) even use spherical bushes so even replaying OEM bushes with a polyurethane bush is even a down grade

I think the lads in Japan knew what they where at, they are a great bunch of lads

So i went to go see my friend Kenneth Brown at KBM engineering. He looked at these arms for me and said they are very good quality. Look solid. Will do the job just fine. He is going to make me rubber boots for them so the will last for a few years. I well happy now 😀

If you price up Kevlar lined stainless ball joints and rod ends in those sorts of sizes, which are the only type that will last in such usage, you will see these arms are impossibly cheap, and the joints *WILL* knock out pretty damned fast, rubber boots or not. Just trying to save you some grief...

Driftworks have just released some also:

http://www.driftworks.com/toyota-adjustable-suspension-arms/

I've been speaking with one of the guys there, as thats where i've purchased my wheels from, and he says the driftworks one have had quite a bit of R&D into them and are made in the UK, not in china like the Japspeed ones, they are also lifetime warranted.

Could be a better option? to try, i think ill try the Toe/traction rods at least, perhaps not the arms, not sure.

Driftworks have just released some also:

http://www.driftworks.com/toyota-adjustable-suspension-arms/

I've been speaking with one of the guys there, as thats where i've purchased my wheels from, and he says the driftworks one have had quite a bit of R&D into them and are made in the UK, not in china like the Japspeed ones, they are also lifetime warranted.

Could be a better option? to try, i think ill try the Toe/traction rods at least, perhaps not the arms, not sure.

My friends Skyline had the Driftworks traction rods and they are junk, knocking and rusted after a few 100 km

Bit they are a lovely orange color ;)