The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Non-retracting seat belts

rider

I've had my Supra for 18 years and over that time the drivers side belt in particular has been suffering the common problem of failure to retract fully, leaving dangly bits outside the door. There are threads on here about how to dismantle the belts and retension them. You can also of course buy new ones for around £100. Anyway the garage I take my Surpa to for service mentioned that a belt clean up can often free them up. The belts, over the years, can suffer sticky finger clogging and a good clean will free them up.

A little sceptical I set about sponging down the belt followed by spray on cleaner and repeated the process a few times. Finished off with a PTFE spray on the top end of the belt that never usually sees the light of day. Result is it now retracts, not with the twang of a new belt but it does fully retract of its own volition. So for any sticky belt sufferers and you know who you are, a good clean up could sort things out. Along with wearing gloves in future. Time to look out my 1980's style racing gloves that I never owned.