The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Red supra rz bad condition..

Fleemon

Hi guys,

Not really sure where to post this... But someone went and viewed a red supra Rz and said it's in bad condition. Just wondering what's wrong with it? I can't find the thread again :(

It's this one on autotrader http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-cars/toyota/supra/used-toyota-supra-3-0-turbo-3dr-burgess-hill-fpa-201407085636126

Just to save me time and going to view it..

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Kick a few hundred off the asking price which will get it properly cleaned, wheels refurbed and a good mop

and polish.

Headlights are an easy fix with some cutting paste.

I'd be more interested in how it drives and its mechanics than the cosmetic issues which

are obvious unlike worn suspension bushes etc

The cosmetic fixes are easy and not expensive compared to replacing wishbones, heater matrix or

brake calipers

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Kick a few hundred off the asking price which will get it properly cleaned, wheels refurbed and a good mop

and polish.

Headlights are an easy fix with some cutting paste.

I'd be more interested in how it drives and its mechanics than the cosmetic issues which

are obvious unlike worn suspension bushes etc

The cosmetic fixes are easy and not expensive compared to replacing wishbones, heater matrix or

brake calipers

The guy who viewed it did say it was a turd that will take one hell of a polishing.

The guy who viewed it did say it was a turd that will take one hell of a polishing.

I'd have to see it in the flesh myself but if its only dull and a few chips it

shouldn't be too hard to restore, a mate at my local bodyshop could make

it look massively better and would cost me £100 for him to go over it.

Agree with what's being said about it being relatively cheap to sort cosmetics and to expect age related marks, but with older cars you want to be looking out for something that's been well looked after regardless of expense - if someone cant be arsed keeping it presentable looking, or making a bit of an effort when advertising it, then who knows what else they weren't arsed doing that should have been done.

Agree with what's being said about it being relatively cheap to sort cosmetics and to expect age related marks, but with older cars you want to be looking out for something that's been well looked after regardless of expense - if someone cant be arsed keeping it presentable looking, or making a bit of an effort when advertising it, then who knows what else they weren't arsed doing that should have been done.

Agreed but when the body work over the years goes a bit off and you are using it regularly, there will always be a (long) time period when the inevitable respray it needs gets put back and back. It's a make or break keep or sell point for many and probably this seller, doesn't mean it's not necessarily been looked after mechanically (but I agree some warning signs are there!).

The red one was/is cosmetically tatty, but it wasn't on MRX's colour wish list, so half way to not having it and was so bad in his eyes he didn't even drive it. So tatty and he didn't want red so it's dismissed - fine.

He's now bought a Gunmetal one (was on his list of colours) which is undoubtably less tatty bodywork wise, but has an additional coolant pipe I don't think i've ever seen on another car (not saying it will cause any issues but it's out of the ordinary!) and suspected dodgy engine mounts (a known facelift problem).

Basically at this age they are all a gamble! The red one could, after looking at the receipts they say they have, be mechanically well looked after and have no engine/turbo issues and drive nice and tight - it may have been at stock boost all it's life, it's tatty j-spec brakes could be indicative of neglect but on the flip side what hard user of a manual Supra puts up with J-specs or if they do would notice poor ones. ie perhaps it's more evidence it's had an easy life.

The Gunmetal has a few teething problems to sort already some non standard bits that raise an eyebrow even if they don't turn out to be a problem. Discs on it don't look that crash hot either but presumably over looked as the overall package was much better etc.

Saying that the Red one could have been abused, with the jspecs's in the garage for last 5 years and them and the tatty wheels only put on recently to sell. The cat's put back on to mask weeping turbo oil seals and on a test drive the handling might be all over the place!

On the face of it the Gunmetal wins hands down in the long run who knows.......it's only one persons opinion.

BTW none of this was meant as any sort of pop at MRX at all, I wish him many happy trips in his new TT6 and hope it treats him well as I do the eventual owner of the red one!

frankly I can't believe the price the manuals still command but IMO if you want a really nice one the extra £2-3K to get it is well worth it...if you can find one.

Paint on pretty much every panel was faded, scratched and problems with lacquer peeling. Skirts were cracked, spilt and chunks taken out of them. Wheels were $#@!ed and tyres barely legal. All disks and pads would need replacing due to scoring and uneven wear. Didn't even bother going for a test drive.

To be honest if that's the state of a 10k tt6 I may rethink my plan of another supe.... It was really demoralising!

Thats more or less the damning comments part I read

Edited by MattP (see edit history)

hmm again i point out, not everyone will have nurtured there car as if its a baby.. myself i bought a TT for sub £1k i have spent over £7k getting in back to decent running conditon. the way i saw it, i could buy a TT for 4 / 5 k but despite what a seller says has been done to the car, i personally would prefer to fork over the cash and know it HAS been done and done right, besides the point. in this case i dont really see a problem aside from the price the deluded owner is asking, if you like this particular example.. wait a month or two .. he will drop his price, if he doesn't then someone who has alot of money to play with has bought it and im sure it will end up a shining example of a forum owned car.

hmm again i point out, not everyone will have nurtured there car as if its a baby.. myself i bought a TT for sub £1k i have spent over £7k getting in back to decent running conditon. the way i saw it, i could buy a TT for 4 / 5 k but despite what a seller says has been done to the car, i personally would prefer to fork over the cash and know it HAS been done and done right, besides the point. in this case i dont really see a problem aside from the price the deluded owner is asking, if you like this particular example.. wait a month or two .. he will drop his price, if he doesn't then someone who has alot of money to play with has bought it and im sure it will end up a shining example of a forum owned car.

Fair post. When I was shopping for my NA I saw a lot of cars in poor condition and that was nearly 8 years ago. I bet the situation hasn't improved as more people can afford to buy these cars but not keep them pristine and fix every fault or worn item.

I was lucky as a fresh import with low miles has needed just routine servicing and a couple of mods to tide me over in 4 years.

H.