The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting an Aftermarket Bonnet - adjustments?

SupraP-Z

Hey all,

Recently purchased a new bonnet which I decided to attempt to fit yesterday. It was quite hard to line up to the stock holes, but got there in the end (just!) so I tightened up the screws, and all looked well. Slowly closed the bonnet and the catches went in nicely - time to look at the alignment. It looked decent from the passengers side, but was quite far out on the drivers side, the top corner also fouled quite badly on the scuttle panel (it actually got stuck on top of it and I couldn't open the bonnet again lol)

So basically the whole thing needs to shift along to the left towards the drivers side slightly. Bearing in mind, I JUST about managed to line the bonnet holes upto the stock brackets, it didn't have any room to move after that. How do bodyshops usually adjust - wings/bonnet to each other?

I gave up and put the stock bonnet back on again :(

You should have an element of float in the bolt holes in the hinges.

Just slacken the bolts off so you can move the bonnet around into place( I seem to think they are M8 bolts with an M10-12 hole in the bracket which should give you som movement/play), Once its in the place where you want it lift the bonnet just enough so you can tighten the bolts again, if you lift it too high it may slide away from where you want it.

Thats how i did mine.

Gav

• 10 months later...

Old thread but I'm having the same issue... only with my standard bonnet!

Since the car was painted the bonnet has never been straight. The front lines up fine, but at the back it is far too far towards the offside. I've had a go at loosening the four bolts (two either side) that connects the bonnet to its hinges and moving it over as far as I can, but there doesn't seem to be much play in the bolt holes and it has made little/no difference.

I thought it could be the bonnet dampers causing the issue, but I've removed them now and it's not made any difference.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I never got round this bud, i ended up putting my stock bonnet back on as i know that fit ok. Im going to wait till the car goes in for a respray and tell them to fit/adjust it then. I almost snapped the top corner of my new bonnet on the scuttle panel trying to get it off, thats how stuck it was.

There should be a little bit of play...but its like mm's and it doesnt stay like that either when you try and bolt it down.

Maybe take it back to the people who re-assembled it?