The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please Help! A bit worried about some issues with my new supra.

supra_24

Hi guys,

really need some friendly help and advice regarding my new Supra MK4 1993 which I just got back from Whifbitz London after 4 months of work done on it.

Its a 1993 MK4 supra 5-speed with NA shell and a UK Spec TT GTE engine put in. Around 400bhp.

Supras are all new to me as I used to own a Nissan S15. So bare with me lol.

Basically picked up the supra a day ago and have had some issues with it which I hope somone might be able to answer.

The first issue is a continuos squeaking noise from the front of the engine. I believe it to be the tensioner belt as Whifbitz installed a brand new Toyota Crank Pulley recently.

The squeaking gets slightly faster/louder when I rev the engine?

Would this be correct?

I have included a link to a video I created of the noise below:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4B7B5B52E44A50D6!198&authkey=!AM2E55-uhlCKFJw&ithint=video%2cmp4

The next issue is again under the hood. Today I noticed that coolant had leaked from what i assume to be the overflow tank next to the right side of the radiator? Its spilt few mills of liquid over that area but has dried as well.

I have been told it may be to do with a faulty radiator cap? (image below)

coolant leak 1.jpg

The final issue is what I would describe as a clunk, clunk, clunk noise when moving off from a junction on occasion or going off in first to second. The sound emits from the rear of the car.

However a new rear diff LSD was installed also by Whifbitz and new brushes too.

Nearly forgot to add that all gears are nice and smooth, However reverse is easy to go into, but when putting back to neutral, I have to push it back with a slight bit of force. Just seems a bit stiff. Is this normal?

If anyone can help with these issues, it would be greatly appreciated. Will take a few worries off of my mind also lol.

Regards

Ashley

Edited by supra_24 (see edit history)

First issue sounds like the aux belt tensioner bearing. Could also be alternator bearing but I'd check the idler first. Remove aux belt and start the engine. If it's quiet, shut the engine off and give the alternator, idler and air con pulleys a spin - you hear and feel the culprit.

Noise from the back could be cv joints - give the driveshafts a shake and see if there's any play. It could also be sticking brake caliper or even handbrake shoes causing the noise. It's hard to tell without seeing it in person.

Check your coolant level. It may simply be too much coolant in the bottle although everyone loves recommending a new rad cap! ;)

Hey guys appreciate that. Not all these issues were apparent straight away as said. It wasnt until I was nearing home that I noticed things like the squeaking all of a sudden happening and then the odd noise from rear of the car.

The coolant I would not have noticed until driving about for sometime as the car needs to heat up and cooldown.

Like I mentioned it was all new to me so I wasnt too sure on whether things were normal or not.

Its going back Tuesday to Whifbitz so im sure all these things can be resolved. me and my Dad were a bit concerend about the rear clunk noise.

It was mentioned it could be the exhaust hitting against the underbody?

Some auxillary belts just squeak, either when hot, or cold, or both. Spray it with WD40 (just a little...) or pour water on it, does the squeak stop?

Some makes of LSD always clunk, clonk and bang when manoeuvring or turning tight radii. What make is it?

If the water tak is too full when cold it will vent coolant when the engine is hot. Milky coolant is either coolant with some sort of leak sealant in it, or oil in it, as a rule.

Cheers guys, i am getting it checked out on Tuesday now.

The reason the coolant reservoir leak worries me is because people have mentioned the milkshake colour sometimes is a sign of a problematic gasket. Is that true?

Usually it refers to Head Gasket Failure, yes. Although see what the garage says on Tuesday

Some auxillary belts just squeak, either when hot, or cold, or both. Spray it with WD40 (just a little...) or pour water on it, does the squeak stop?

Some makes of LSD always clunk, clonk and bang when manoeuvring or turning tight radii. What make is it?

If the water tak is too full when cold it will vent coolant when the engine is hot. Milky coolant is either coolant with some sort of leak sealant in it, or oil in it, as a rule.

WOW, your keyboard does have a 'Return/enter' key. First post I have seen of yours since I joined that has been broken up and not one big uber paragraph. :D

Anyway back on topic, I am just bored. :)

WOW, your keyboard does have a 'Return/enter' key. First post I have seen of yours since I joined that has been broken up and not one big uber paragraph. :D

Anyway back on topic, I am just bored. :)

Not sure what you mean? I paragraph regularly, please post a screen shot of offending posts.

I do often let the forum application set the line length, is that what you mean?

Yeah i most likely will leave it on the drive until Tuesday morning for now and then drive it up to whifbitz for inspection.

But surely if it was a gasket or leak whifbitz would have come across this?

Also if the gasket was an issue would there not be other signs on the car, such as smoke or overheating?

Yeah i most likely will leave it on the drive until Tuesday morning for now and then drive it up to whifbitz for inspection.

But surely if it was a gasket or leak whifbitz would have come across this?

Also if the gasket was an issue would there not be other signs on the car, such as smoke or overheating?

I have no idea what Whifbitz were asked to do, or why. Impossible to comment, and I don't tend to comment on fellow traders business practices anyway, bad etiquette, old boy :) Suffice to say they have a very very good reputation on this and many other forums. (Cash in plain envelope to the usual address please Paul... ;) ).

Sometimes a failed or failing head gasket will produce exhaust smoke, sometimes it won't. Depends where and how it's failed, or is failing.

Fair enough. I mean no disregard to anyone, the car is 100 times better than it was since being fixed up by whifbitz, so i thank them.

Just really trying to figure out what potentials could cause the issues i am currently experiencing for peace of mind.

Hopefully we will sort these issues out next week and hopefully the head gasket is perfectly fine and its a simple fix ;)