The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie here - expert advice needed pls

Guest staccato

Guest staccato

Hi everyone. At last I have found a decent supra forum!!

I'm looking to buy a supra this year, and would particularly like a twin turbo, with a veilside bodykit or similar.

I currently own a modest Turbo Diesel MG ZR, and after browsing this excellent site for half hour or so, I can now see there is more than meets the eye to these supra beasts!

Can anyone give me general advice on the supra such as:

things to look for when buying one

how much fuel/tyres etc they really do use?

Do the supras need lots of running repairs due to their age?

I've already had an insurance quote for £937 for a 3.0 litre twin turbo supra - which is actully cheaper than my existing MG at £1067!

All help, info, horror stories etc would really help.

Hi mate and welcome. You'll probably get told to use the search button for alot of the answers, but don't be put off. Your insurance quote, was that for an import or UK car?? There's a few for sale on here which 99.9% of the time means it's in good condition. Petrol wise, well i filled my tank up the other day with Optimax at 90 odd pence a Litre and it came to £60 (first time ever usually just over £50). Tyres your looking at about £150 plus for each boot. Have you driven one yet??

Goo dluck with your purchase, and remember, we love pictures :D

1) with a veilside bodykit or similar.

2) Do the supras need lots of running repairs due to their age?

3) I've already had an insurance quote for £937 for a 3.0 litre twin turbo supra - which is actully cheaper than my existing MG at £1067!

4) All help, info, horror stories etc would really help.

1) Beware of badily fitted body kits

2) Not if they're well maintained, oil changed regularaly etc. The odd expensive bit might fail. Parts can be very dear in comparison to Euro cars, but are far less likely to fail.

3) Think yourself lucky.

4) Search these forums for plenty of advice and stories of things that can go wrong.

Guest staccato
Hi mate and welcome. You'll probably get told to use the search button for alot of the answers, but don't be put off. Your insurance quote, was that for an import or UK car?? There's a few for sale on here which 99.9% of the time means it's in good condition. Petrol wise, well i filled my tank up the other day with Optimax at 90 odd pence a Litre and it came to £60 (first time ever usually just over £50). Tyres your looking at about £150 plus for each boot. Have you driven one yet??

Goo dluck with your purchase, and remember, we love pictures :D

No, it was for a UK car. I sneakily used a number plate from an auto trader photo just to see what it came out at. Then I typed in the car details manually and it came out about £10 more expensive.

When I said about tyres and fuel, I meant how long does the fuel last (consumption) and because of the torque, does it chew through tyres? £150 per tyre is good. My ZR's michelin pilots were about that price per corner

Fuel consumption will depend on how you drive it and what sort of journeys etc but, as a rule of thumb, plan for around 20 mpg. As for tyres, that is also quite a imponderable as that too will depend on the type of driver you are, the make of tyre etc

I get between 280 and 300 miles per tankful with both my Supras, that's about average from what I've read on here.

Tyre wear seems to vary a lot. Some folks only get about 8000 miles from their rears. Mine seems to be more than double that but then I do mainly motorway driving.

I find tyres last quite well too. Rears wear more quickly but I have done umm.. 5 burnouts so far on this pair.

Fuel wise I also get about 20mpg. More if I stay off boost. I drove all the way back from Leeds (to Manchester) in negative/occasional-zero boost (guess that means manifold pressure 'cause there's no negative boost is there?) and fuel consumption was very good.. maybe 28mpg.

The car's so damn nice and comfortable, that it makes up for it. When I had the Focus C-MAX 1.6tdci for a while, I was driving it near flat out at 90mph all the time 'cause it was a bore. Fuel cost was the same for that at 90mph as the Supra at 65mph.

I get between 280 and 300 miles per tankful with both my Supras, that's about average from what I've read on here.

Do you drive or push yours jake! i only ever got around 250 miles of easy driving :(

welcome to the BBS, where abouts you from im maidstone.

Guest staccato
Whoa another MG ZR to Supra convert - cool!! I used to have a 160 (are you on http://www.themgzr.co.uk?).

If you test drive one you will buy one.

Hi mate! Yeah I'm on the ZR forum. You used to be a mod on there didn't you?

I daren't drive a supra yet or I'll want one even more, but I've got to be patient!

How have you got on with yours?

Guest staccato
Ahh, another local!

If you ever find yourself passing Parkwood in Maidstone, feel free to pop in for a chat :)

Hi there! I think I've seen you driving about from time to time. I assume the supra in your sig is yours, the yellow one.

I'm driving one of the two blue MG ZR's with the MG X-Power graphics all over it. I'll throw you a wave when I next see ya!

Guest staccato

Do you drive or push yours jake! i only ever got around 250 miles of easy driving :(

welcome to the BBS, where abouts you from im maidstone.

I live on the sutton road, opposite Natwest Bank, just down from the police HQ.

What supra you driving, I'll keep an eye out for you

Hi there! I think I've seen you driving about from time to time. I assume the supra in your sig is yours, the yellow one.

I'm driving one of the two blue MG ZR's with the MG X-Power graphics all over it. I'll throw you a wave when I next see ya!

Yep that's me, and I have seen you before too :)

I live on the sutton road, opposite Natwest Bank, just down from the police HQ.

What supra you driving, I'll keep an eye out for you

I HAD a red TT aerotop with a full veilside bodykit and SRM TRD bonnet with Gold 18" BBS alloys, which is now long gone. But i live in Willington Street

Normal driving to from work etc i get aroung 250-300 miles to a tank on a recent trip to newcastle got 457 miles to the tank:upside: . That was driving there off boost all the way(slow lane) and driving around.

Had the car nearly 2 years and only had to change the tyres once, i do about 16Kmiles per year

I must be doing something wrong, or my driving style is a little harsher.

I get 230 miles per tank absolute max and 160 worst. But I haven't tried to drive off boost for a full tank so I suppose it would do more :D

My tyres last around 6-7000 miles without burnouts, but these were cheap nasty tyres, only had my Soop for 6-7 months so don't know how long the new F1 GSD3's will last.

Glad you said that Steve as mine is about the same and i thought it was just me. I know Oxy said he gets roughly the same mileage as what Jake gets.

I got back from TOTB on a tank full (j-Spec) and that was towing a trailer from Watford to Brighton !!!!

Dude :flame Dev