The mkiv Supra Owners Club

adjustable pulleys, if anyone needs them :)

Hibbz

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231293197619

only added this if anyone is after any adjustable pulleys, they seem to be on auction all the time, and just got my through post this morning

paid £37 for the pair :/ cheaper than everywhere else but if i knew they put more up i'd have waited.

hope this helps somebody out :)

picture below is of mine i got today :)

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/q73/s720x720/10384349_10152370353134081_8630969024904829268_n.jpg

If you want the timing bang on they are useful, if you have skimmed the head or block they are pretty much essential to bring the timing back correct. If you have aftermarket cams you can optimise them, and if you are on a dyno you can quickly play with the cam timing *IF* you *KNOW* what range is safe without risk of piston to valve clash, assuming the cams have enough lift or duration to make this possible. So not essential, in the main, but if you are a perfectionist or tinkerer they are most useful. Setting the cams up exactly with the engine is is not for the feint hearted though, it's much easier on an engine dyno or on the engine stand.

If you want the timing bang on they are useful, if you have skimmed the head or block they are pretty much essential to bring the timing back correct. If you have aftermarket cams you can optimise them, and if you are on a dyno you can quickly play with the cam timing *IF* you *KNOW* what range is safe without risk of piston to valve clash, assuming the cams have enough lift or duration to make this possible. So not essential, in the main, but if you are a perfectionist or tinkerer they are most useful. Setting the cams up exactly with the engine is is not for the feint hearted though, it's much easier on an engine dyno or on the engine stand.

Informative as always chris thanks

Guest FullAttack

I don't mean to piss on your bonfire.. But I wouldn't use those pulleys.. Here's why..

Iv had to deal with 2 different cars that have used cheap ass pulleys..

First one broke the cheap ass locking bolts..

Second one broke the actual pulley..

Iv also dealt with a pulley that got mashed around the dowl hole.. The cam dried out and seized, the belt should have skipped before the pulley squishes.. The dowl mashed the hole then bent over in the cam, when bending over it cracked the cam.

Yeah it doesn't usually cause any damage due to being non interferance, but it's hag to strip everything off to time it all up again.

Iv used BC pulleys, Titan pulleys, Tomie pulleys and HKS pulleys.. The only ones I'd buy again are the HKS ones.. And make sure they are the newest type, there's been 3 different ones and the earlier ones arnt as good as the newest ones.

When you hold a genuine HKS one and a cheapo one in your hand, you'll see the difference in quality of material and machining.

Also, the majority of adjustable pulleys out there fitted to cars... are set to 0.......lol

Edited by FullAttack (see edit history)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231293197619

only added this if anyone is after any adjustable pulleys, they seem to be on auction all the time, and just got my through post this morning

paid £37 for the pair :/ cheaper than everywhere else but if i knew they put more up i'd have waited.

hope this helps somebody out :)

picture below is of mine i got today :)

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/q73/s720x720/10384349_10152370353134081_8630969024904829268_n.jpg

I don't want adj pulleys but...

"The 5-bolt design eliminates any chance of slippage,"

5 Bolt design??

Surely I only count 3.

Who makes them?

Hmm

I don't mean to piss on your bonfire.. But I wouldn't use those pulleys.. Here's why..

Iv had to deal with 2 different cars that have used cheap ass pulleys..

First one broke the cheap ass locking bolts..

Second one broke the actual pulley..

Iv also dealt with a pulley that got mashed around the dowl hole.. The cam dried out and seized, the belt should have skipped before the pulley squishes.. The dowl mashed the hole then bent over in the cam, when bending over it cracked the cam.

Yeah it doesn't usually cause any damage due to being non interferance, but it's hag to strip everything off to time it all up again.

Iv used BC pulleys, Titan pulleys, Tomie pulleys and HKS pulleys.. The only ones I'd buy again are the HKS ones.. And make sure they are the newest type, there's been 3 different ones and the earlier ones arnt as good as the newest ones.

When you hold a genuine HKS one and a cheapo one in your hand, you'll see the difference in quality of material and machining.

Also, the majority of adjustable pulleys out there fitted to cars... are set to 0.......lol

the HKS version is the same, except for a badge that says hks and the price :/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HKS-Adjustable-Camshaft-Pulleys-Pair-Toyota-1JZ-GTE-amp-2JZ-GTE-Engines-/281264384187?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

and since team japseed sell them i kinda assumed they would be to a good standard as they feel solid,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAPSPEED-TOYOTA-SUPRA-SOARER-CHASER-JZX-1JZ-2JZ-ADJUSTABLE-VERNIER-CAM-PULLEYS-/161289408930?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Guest FullAttack

They look similar.. But trust me, when you hold a genuine HKS one and one of those, you'll see the difference.

Here's after one shit itself, ended up usually a BC one and an eBay one to get it moving...

Then changed to genuine Tomie ones...

But none compair in quality to genuine HKS ones..

Edited by FullAttack (see edit history)