The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Roll Cage

rider

Why would anyone want to put a roll cage into their Supra?

No idea. It's bloody dangerous if you ask me. Proper roll cages are meant for use with helmets, harnesses and in race cars only. The bolt-in ones are useless and will probably hurt you more in a crash. That's why most insurance companies won't touch you if you've got one installed.

Why would anyone want to put a roll cage into their Supra?

Maybe someone knows, I can't figure it out. What's it say about the driver and their ability of maintaining a car on at least 2 wheels? Still seems to be selling well on eBay.

No point unless its a weld in cage and you are using it on track with a helmet and a harness.

Otherwise its more metal to mangle you up when you crash.

Most people fit them for looks I guess as they want a race car but most will never use it on a track with a helmet so it's a little redundant.

Are there any handling benefits to roll cages? Aren't they fairly common in aeros due to the weaker chassis? I vaguely remember reading something years ago along those lines anyway.

Because its cool, like stretched tyres and stupid amounts of camber :rolleyes:

I know, it's a me thing. I just don't find sticky on plastic and bolt on accessories appealing. Unless it happens to have something like Blitz, HKS or Greddy stamped somewhere on it.

I was being very sarcastic :)

they look kool. stiffens the car and in the even you roll it wont crumble if done properly. i like them and will have one installed when i get my hands on a sup. but then i plan on taking it on the drag strip too. also it adds more protection. if they didnt why would race cars have them.

they look kool. stiffens the car and in the even you roll it wont crumble if done properly. i like them and will have one installed when i get my hands on a sup. but then i plan on taking it on the drag strip too. also it adds more protection. if they didnt why would race cars have them.

The one in the advert isn't a full cage so wont do jack to stiffen up the car, race cars have proper cages not cosmetic ones ;)

ag_sti_cage_06.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

A proper weld in cage, executed correctly will stiffen a road car shell by a vast amount. Most road cars, MKIV Supra included, are floppy as hell. One of the stiffest production shells ever was the old BMC Austin / Morris 1800 series. Knowing BMC / BL this will have been by luck rather than design :) One of the floppiest i have come upon is the Porsche 928. The wife had one, and I used to work on many of these. Jack one up under a front corner and the doors won't open or shut properly. Appalling stiffness for a supposedly state of the art performance GT car at the time. Bolt in cages make little or no difference to shell stiffness, too many flexible interfaces. And a cage that is welded in or bolted in without the mount points being stiffened by welded in spreader plates is a disaster waiting to happen, as in "the big one" the legs of the cage will just punch through the thin sheet metal. I had a brand spanking new Skyline R33GTR shell fitted with a decent cage, with full FIA certification and paperwork. It was very expensive, but the work was first class and the labour time extensive. What the cage is made of is important. CDS (cold drawn seamless) is the minimum tube spec. Using more exotic steel alloys allows the wall thickness to be reduced, making a big difference to the weight of the cage, which, whatever it's made of, will be hefty. The old alloy cages, whilst often works of art, are now illegal in International competition.

http://www.chriswilson.tv/skyline_shell/skyline_shell.html

http://www.chriswilson.tv/skyline_cage/skyline_cage.html

http://www.chriswilson.tv/skyline_cage_painted/skyline_cage.html

isn't the add showing a do luck rear tension set? as opposed to a "roll cage" i would have thought it does help just as a strut brace would, however if i had rear seats i wouldn't fit one for safety reasons.

Most aftermarket strut braces don't do Jack... Especially Pivoted ones.