The mkiv Supra Owners Club

crank pully faq

flyby

The rubber section fails letting the outer ring that the aux belt sits on fly off.

If yours is the original one the car came with from new i'd replace it.

When you say loose i'm guessing you mean the outer section moves in relation

to the centre section, not the whole pulley loose on the crank ?

Here is one with the tippex test done and showing the belt drive section has moved and

must be replaced.

I personally fitted a stock Toyota Crank pulley, do not fit the billet aluminium ones.

worn_crank_pulley.jpg

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest FullAttack

Agree with swampy.. They should be replaced, but usually left until they poo themselves..

They generally don't do damage when they go, unless it bangs around and hits something.. I wouldn't want to be the car behind you though!!

There is some good aftermarket options available, liquid filled dampening pulleys and alike..

Thanks for all response.

garagewhifbitz has a new genuine to a fair price... i hobe it is gonna hold for more than 6 month :)

thay are very cheap in japan, if it is true about the genuine : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-TOYOTA-CRANK-PULLEY-SUPRA-ARISTO-CHASER-SOARER-1JZGTE-2JZGTE-2JZ-1JZ-/331223733061?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1e791345

The rubber section fails letting the outer ring that the aux belt sits on fly off.

If yours is the original one the car came with from new i'd replace it.

When you say loose i'm guessing you mean the outer section moves in relation

to the centre section, not the whole pulley loose on the crank ?

Here is one with the tippex test done and showing the belt drive section has moved and

must be replaced.

I personally fitted a stock Toyota Crank pulley, do not fit the billet aluminium ones.

No, it was loose on the axel, so the little "not" (dont know the english word) has a small danamge. The cranck pulley bolt was not fasten enough :(

Event if the crank pulley is noget damaged, i thing it is time to change. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Whiffen @ Garage Whiffbitz has just done me a deal on most of my major parts to do all the pulleys and belts etc. I was a little shocked at the price of the crank pulley (Gen Toyota) but, when I got the old one off, I was relieved that I had decided to bite the bullet as Paul suggested and buy one. You could see at the rear of the pulley where the rubber had started to break up and crack like an old tyre. Give Paul a call, he is a cheap as anywhere, and was a good source of advice too.

People happily spend twice as much on a loud exhaust, yet a service item is expensive. Not you, just 'people'

"People" also renege on servicing their car because of the price of decent oil or put reasonable tyres on performance cars but happily drive down to macdonalds to cruise around a car park do some burn outs and act the cock then think nowt of the cost of the fuel and burgers consumed at said event :)

"People" also renege on servicing their car because of the price of decent oil or put reasonable tyres on performance cars but happily drive down to macdonalds to cruise around a car park do some burn outs and act the cock then think nowt of the cost of the fuel and burgers consumed at said event :)

Is it in the service schedule to replace these after so many miles. Mine went last Saturday. Outer ring flew off,but no damege,and the belt stayed on,squealed like you kno what.

Is it in the service schedule to replace these after so many miles. Mine went last Saturday. Outer ring flew off,but no damege,and the belt stayed on,squealed like you kno what.