The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V160 Selector Shaft Replacement - how much.

ManwithSupra

Hi All,

Since replacing the selector shaft seal last year it seems recently I am getting a dribble of Gearbox oil again from it :(

So it looks like the selector shaft itself is probably scored in some way (as far as I remember I didn't score it when pushing the new seal in place).

How much would I be looking at to get the shaft replaced, I am assuming it will be a full strip?

I know a lot of people will say don't bother and just live with it, but as the car has a flat floor I don't really want it pooling and then it being flicked up onto a hot exhaust and causing a fire, as a fire in the trans tunnel with a flat floor will be hard to put out.

I would do it myself but when it comes to gearboxes it pays for having someone experienced do it.

Any Ideas??

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

When you refreshed the old seal, did you opt for the option to fully remove the old seal, or did you fit a slightly larger seal from CW over the top of the old one?

Didn't remove the old seal no, Pushed the new seal over it, I used a new Toyota standard seal.

I was never told to use a slightly larger one...:rolleyes:

Any tips for removing this seal without scoring the shaft??

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

I'll never forget the old guy with a Vauxhall Viva who came to me for a service, many years ago. I told him the oil pressure warning light switch was leaking, (a very common fault in those days), and he needed a new one. He told me to leave it... The next year he was back again for another service. I just couldn't believe what he'd done... He had a little brass ornamental bowl hung on a home made wire stirrup, off the dynamo, so it sat directly below the oil pressure switch, to catch the drips. He'd put a couple of steel nuts in the bowl to give it some inertia and stop it swing about too much. On the dash was a stuck on, hand written note. "Empty bowl every Saturday". :) He mentioned a squeaking at the time of the second service, I am not sure how I managed to avoid asking him if it might not be himself doing the squeaking, as he was so extraordinarily tight...

When you get the last seal to be fitted out, was everything off with petrol or brake cleaner to remove any grit before fitting the new seal, and pre oil the shaft with a bit of engine oil or grease. If the leak is scoring it should be deep enough to feel or see. The damned things like most shafts that have both radial and axial movement in a dirty environment, is prone to leaking. Minis and all BL transverse gearbox cars from the sixties and seventies, were all but impossible to keep the similar shaft arrangement oil tight.

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I'll never forget the old guy with a Vauxhall Viva who came to me for a service, many years ago. I told him the oil pressure warning light switch was leaking, (a very common fault in those days), and he needed a new one. He told me to leave it... The next year he was back again for another service. I just couldn't believe what he'd done... He had a little brass ornamental bowl hung on a home made wire stirrup, off the dynamo, so it sat directly below the oil pressure switch, to catch the drips. He'd put a couple of steel nuts in the bowl to give it some inertia and stop it swing about too much. On the dash was a stuck on, hand written note. "Empty bowl every Saturday". :) He mentioned a squeaking at the time of the second service, I am not sure how I managed to avoid asking him if it might not be himself doing the squeaking, as he was so extraordinarily tight...

When you get the last seal to be fitted out, was everything off with petrol or brake cleaner to remove any grit before fitting the new seal, and pre oil the shaft with a bit of engine oil or grease. If the leak is scoring it should be deep enough to feel or see. The damned things like most shafts that have both radial and axial movement in a dirty environment, is prone to leaking. Minis and all BL transverse gearbox cars from the sixties and seventies, were all but impossible to keep the similar shaft arrangement oil tight.

Cheers Chris :)

Thanks for the seal and your advice on email.