The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Elise to Supra... Steering feel?

Guest sloch

Guest sloch

Looking at modified/track setup Supras after having just sold my Elise.

I've heard of the steering feeling 'disconnected'. Granted it will have less feel than an Elise/Caterham but is it that bad?

Anyone driven both?

Cheers!

Guest sloch

Yeah fully expecting it to be a complete barge. Only concern is the lack of steering feel.

I de-powered the rack on an MX5 I used to have and the steering feel improved dramatically. Maybe an option to consider.

Edited by sloch (see edit history)

I find the steering feel and feedback is great - However I have a vastly different Supra than the norm.

Mind you when I used to track my first Supra the steering feel and feedback was OK, it was certainly nothing to boast about though.

I wouldn't remove the PAS on a Supra.. the steering is very heavy without assistance.

Don't worry about it. The Supra's steering is nicely weighted with more than enough feedback through the wheel. I've driven both - and pretty much every new car on sale - so I've got a pretty good view on it!

The other advantage is that the Supra won't spin around and try to kill you when you get near the limit ;)

I've always found the Supras steering to be one of its weak points. It's accurate, but ultimately lacks feedback. This will feel worse too if you're coming from an Elise.

But then again, the Supra isn't a sports car, it's a GT. A damned good GT.

I think it's quite informative and alive but could be sharper. Direction changes like at small roundabouts feel like they need more lock than I would like.

It's not nervous and edgy because it's a GT. But it is accurate and nicely weighted.

If you think it's not giving feed back drive a Vectra...then you'll know a dead steering wheel!!

My friend and neighbour has had countless elises and curreny owns an exige I have had the pleasure of driving them all numerous times to rallys and shows and for a spot of hooning and the feelback from the steering is incredible. The supra is a very different animal it would be unfair to compare them. As good and accurate as it is in a supra you'll NEVER feel as tuned in as you do in a lotus.. remember lotus are track ready as standard.