The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket under bonnet heating sheet - recommendations and advice please

SupraStar 3000

Been doing a few jobs on the Supra recently including adding some tasty bits and bobs under the hood. Now I find the tatty under bonnet heating material looks very old. What have you guys used to replace this????

I'd ideally like mirrored or white, but open to suggestions and ideas.

Thanks, and Peace out!

IMO it's a simple sound deadener. A flattish piece of material dropping on top of the engine is NOT going to make any difference whatsoever to a fuel fire :)

I agree 100%

Like i said before. If you want sound deading or heat shield or something that looks nice. Then google Dynamat Hoodliner. It will do all the things your looking for. Its that simple.

Edited by Hassan (see edit history)

IMO it's a simple sound deadener. A flattish piece of material dropping on top of the engine is NOT going to make any difference whatsoever to a fuel fire :)

I think its one and only purpose is to protect the user in an event of a fire, say for example there was a fire under the bonnet, the plastic lugs melt and the matting drops onto the engine. So then if you see smoke under the bonnet and you lift it up you dont get the back draught of flames up in your face.

Saying that though every car i have owned ive removed it and will be doing on mine soon too as it looks to have gone slightly mouldy.

I think its one and only purpose is to protect the user in an event of a fire, say for example there was a fire under the bonnet, the plastic lugs melt and the matting drops onto the engine. So then if you see smoke under the bonnet and you lift it up you dont get the back draught of flames up in your face.

Saying that though every car i have owned ive removed it and will be doing on mine soon too as it looks to have gone slightly mouldy.

Try it for yourself. First with the oem heatshield and then without. It only does two things.

1st: you will notice the engine noise is louder since there is no sound deading material now.

2nd: your bonnet will be alot hotter to touch since there is no heat shielding now.

Its that simple. See if your engine was on fire and the fire was hot and big enough to be melting plastic clips (by this time your car will be in a big fire ball) who in there right mind will want to stand near it and open the bonnet to check??? I dont get this concept at all. Depending on which plactic its made from, your taking about melting points from 115c to 270c. So being a engine bay i presume the plastic will have a higher melting point. So if your bonnet is burning at 250c plus will you be able to touch it or go near it??? No chance.

Its only purpose is to sound deading and heat shield. Thats all.