The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rich's NA project

RichTrdAlsop

Over the moon to finally be able to say, I own a supra :yahoo: :yahoo:

On Saturday i went down to Canvey Island to meet Dave, and his car he had for sale.

A deal was made, and she was all mine!

Mechanically I can't fault her, other than needing a new front disc, and a hanger re-welding on the exhaust.

Inside looks to be pretty good, centre console, gaiters etc look a little tired, but the rear bench and front Uk leather seats are in great condition.

There's a few minor electrical issues, odo doesn't work and the instrument cluster doesn't light up, but I'm hoping they are fairly simple fixes.

Tonight I pulled the centre panels and cluster out, to start peeling off what was left of black plasti-dip, in order to tidy it up and paint it.

It also gave me a chance to see what the wiring was like behind, and tbh it looks pretty shoddy.

I found the 'how to' speedo converter thread so I'll have a read through that, see if everything has been done correctly. If it has, I'll re do the connections with solder and heat shrink, if not I'll start again.

Few pics of what I found:

Hopefully it's not too bad a mess and I can sort it.

I haven't taken any pics of the car yet, but there are a few on the sale ad:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?310238-Toyota-Supra-3-litre-NA-5-Speed-manual-SZR-ABS-LSD

The plan is to eventually have a 600+bhp turbo motor. This is going to be a very slow project so please be patient :D

Rich

Any idea what the black wires are that go through the bulb holes Logie?

Edit: just had message through from previous owner, apparently it's a switch to change the dash colours, so I imagine he's got different bulbs in the clocks. Will take them apart tomorrow and see if I can out it back to standard.

Edited by RichTrdAlsop (see edit history)

Odometer fixed.

New front discs turn up tomorrow, taking the clocks to a cluster repair shop on Friday to get sorted, along with new bulbs and holders.

Started prepping the centre console last night ready for paint, need to order a couple new panels as some of the tabs have broken.

Last night I received a message from previous owner, informing me the car was fitted with 'El-glow' dials and didn't need bulbs. For whatever reason these weren't working, so I tried rewiring a couple of times but with no success. I decided to cut the two outer dials off and leave them as the standard black dials, but I've left the rev counter as the white dial, as the standard one is an auto dial, so has P,N,D etc on it. Taking it into a local repair shop tomorrow to see if the unit is saveable, or if I need a new one. Will update tomorrow evening :D