The mkiv Supra Owners Club

your views on a recent dealing

Guest oldmanam

Guest oldmanam

Recently put down a deposit on a car. I was 100% ready to buy. Reason for the deposit was to secure the car and have first refusal.^ I was on hoilday and couldn't go and see the car until 1 week later and really wanted it. Also^ had booked travel etc to see the car as I stay a fair distance away. Was willing to offer full asking price.^ Due to distance of the cars I've missed out on a couple and thought this was a sensible thing to do. Always got my cars from a dealer never privately.

Day before I was meant to travel to see the car, I had to pull out genuine reasons. Contacted seller and Informed them.^ Also asked if i could have deposit back. But they refused at first, saying it was not refundable - we had never discussed it be refundable or not. I thought this was unfair.^ should I expect to lose deposit?

Was wondering you views on this?

Edited by oldmanam (see edit history)

Guest Budz86

What would be the point him taking deposits from people, turning down others who want to buy the car, just for the deposit to be refunded on request and him being left high and dry?

Guest oldmanam
You agreed to buy a car, and left a deposit to stop the seller selling the car

You pulled out, you should expect to lose the deposit, i can't believe you thought you'd get it back tbh.

I had asked if I could get it back. Being naive as never bought a car privately before. Trying to understand what should normally happen in this situation only.

Guest oldmanam
deposits are generally non refundable. he could have turned away countless potential buyers on your deposit. that's business buddy

Ok, I see. It wasnt alot of money, and have come to terms with it. Wanted to know if this was the norm. As am still looking for a motor.

I think if you leave a deposit both parties have responsibility. The seller, not to sell the car to anyone else and the buyer to actually turn up and follow through with the purchase.

If either doesn't keep their word, the deposit should kept by the other party. So if you have agreed to buy it and didn't you lose your money.

H.

Guest oldmanam

Thanks for the replys. I now understand how it works and the seller was right and me wrong. This will help in the future.

Guest Jason1

Sorry mate got to agree

When I was selling my car the bloke who was buying it the first time left a deposit and then tried to get it back.

Didn't happen though and Ebay did back me up.

Nothing worse than selling a car and being messed about, but saying that, I'd have given you the money back once I'd sold the car elsewhere.

That's a nice gesture. For me it would depend on how much the buyer had messed me about and whether I had to spend more money advertising the car again if I had lost other potential buyers.

I refunded a deposit on mine when i was selling it recently, partly because i liked the guy :D and partly for the same reasons as H gave - it was only a few days and the car was only advertised on this forum so it wasn't costing me anything. In fact, the prospective buyer was so decent he paid the deposit after he changed his mind because he didn't want to be seen to have messed me about over it. So, buy & sell on the forum...as generally you'll get decent sellers & buyers :)

I had a similar situation & the guy had to pull out. I kept the deposit as I explained I took time off work & spent time preparing the car for his arrival. This was after telling a few people the car maybe be sold so lost customers. He was fine when I explained it too him.

For me it would depend on how much the buyer had messed me about and whether I had to spend more money advertising the car again if I had lost other potential buyers.

That. I only tend to take small deposits though, and I'm very clear in explaining that they're non refundable. Guy who bought my BMW left a £1000 deposit, no way I would have kept that much if it had gone sour! :D