The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How effective is the uk hood scoop?

LOGIE

Ive been deliberating whether to fit my uk hood scoop with all associated parts including the snorkel to my supra for ages now. I suppose it comes down to 2 things...1st. Do I like it cosmetically? Some days yes some days no im quite indecisive about it. So I guess it really comes down to question 2 is it worth it as a fuctional aid to cooling jspec ceramic turbos? Uk are steel turbos so im guessing this is why uk cars got the scoop. Is it worth it? Will it prolong the life of my turbos? Will it help performance?

I really cant decide.

I think it's to cool the head in an area between the 5th and 6th cylinders where there is a lack of air flow and potential for heat build up, not the turbo's themselves. J-specs aren't particularly prone to issues here it seems so perhaps a 'worrying about nothing' factory addition?

I thought about sourcing a j spec bonnet and fitting the scoop. Then I can change them about. I do like the clean look of the j spec bonnet but then the uk scoop does give a little bit of a menacing look esp in the rear view mirror id imagine. Hmmm decisions.

The non JDM Supras, ie UK/ US/ Euro spec had to pass tougher emission regulations and got round them by fitting these models with an EGR valve. I believe it is maybe number 5 that the exhaust is re-circulated back into.

The scoop collects air at speed and directs it to a snorkel that goes to cool the effected cylinder which is running hotter than the others due to hot exhaust gases being put back through it.

I remember reading somewhere Toyota saying the cooling effect was worth 1hp.

My understanding anyway.

The non JDM Supras, ie UK/ US/ Euro spec had to pass tougher emission regulations and got round them by fitting these models with an EGR valve. I believe it is maybe number 5 that the exhaust is re-circulated back into.

The scoop collects air at speed and directs it to a snorkel that goes to cool the effected cylinder which is running hotter than the others due to hot exhaust gases being put back through it.

I remember reading somewhere Toyota saying the cooling effect was worth 1hp.

My understanding anyway.

Interesting not heard that before nice

I think it's to cool the head in an area between the 5th and 6th cylinders where there is a lack of air flow and potential for heat build up, not the turbo's themselves. J-specs aren't particularly prone to issues here it seems so perhaps a 'worrying about nothing' factory addition?

This.

It is to cool the area around the 5th and 6th cylinders during prolonged high speed cruising such as that on the autobahn this is the same reason they have a differential oil cooler too :)

This.

It is to cool the area around the 5th and 6th cylinders during prolonged high speed cruising such as that on the autobahn this is the same reason they have a differential oil cooler too :)

So do all TT's have an Egr valve?

It would make sense the car needs more cooling due to the possibility of high speed cruising on the autobahn as you say. Also the uk spec has bigger injectors and cam shafts (as you know) so might add to the cooling requirement.

I thought the reason for cooling that specific area was to do with the egr though (at constant high speeds it would be the hottest area) as it's positioned around cylinder 5/6.

I don't re call getting any water in the engine bay on my car, the underside has a metal plate that directs

the air to the snorkel, if you don't fit this then i guess you could get water in.

If you want purely for looks don't cut the hole in the bonnet ;)

After fitting a U.K. scoop to a J spec bonnet, I found that the altered aerodynamics lifted the wipers off the screen by 80mph.

Changing to my Super-Chargespeed bonnet made this a lot worse, yet found that fitting a JDL bonnet extension cured the issue.

My drivers wiper used to lift off the screen slightly if I go above 85ish mph and the was with the wiper blade spoiler. I now have the aeroblade wipers (soft floppy things) and they are fine no rise at all even when travelling at warp.

Guest MINTER

as in you saying they arnt that expensive from Toyota with all the parts :)

iirc you cant purchase all the parts from toyota anymore,only certain bits.