The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Puncture repair opinions

Guest Budz86

Guest Budz86

Just noticed I have a piece of metal in my tyre, causing a slow puncture. Haven't removed the piece of metal yet as it will likely deflate completely. It's in one of the grooves in the centre of the tyre tread. Question is, would a puncture repair be 'safe'? I've heard in the past that these can sometimes fail under high loads, but guessing this is a bit of an old wives tale! Tyre still has quite a bit of life left and as I'll be changing wheels next year anyway, I'd rather not have to replace both rear tyres.

What do you think?

was the guy wearing chaps and riding a horse? get it vaulked properly... bloody pull trough's

What is wrong with them? I watched him do it and was quite impressed with how they squeezed the repair through the hole. It left me with a mushroom that wore away on the way back to the hotel. All I can see now is an 3mm orange circle in the rear tyre.

The tyre only has 2mm of tread left so I am swapping them at the next MOT.

they are emergency , temporary repairs only, if I was caught fixing a puncture like that without removing the tyre to inspect v.o.s.a would hand my arse to me

The ones I have had done before were like a patch on a stick, the rubber stick was pulled through the hole (tyre off) and then sealed and snipped. Did 20K miles on one of them.

We have done 500 miles since the puncture on Saturday during DB14. I will change both rears in the next few weeks so I am not concerned. If that repair does come out though I would be amazed after watching the guy struggle to get it in.

that's a proper plug, the patch would have been vaulkenised (rubber weld) inside the tyre too . that's one of the proper ways to do it.

Aah. This one in Belgium was like a twisted rubber that was forced through the hole with a prong. The guy did say it would be good for the life of the tyre. Not sure if he meant the tyre was fooked though...:D

H.

Guest Budz86

Cheers guys. I've just spoken to Quik Fit and a local tyre place; both want £25 to fit a mushroom repair jobbie and both have said it will be a permanent fix. Did forget to ask if they took the tyre off to do the repair but I will check this before they fit.

Craig, am I right in saying the mushrooms are fine as long as the tyre has been removed from the wheel and checked inside and out?