The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi-Temp Silicone Sealant Question. You Brickies Maybe Able To Help

a98pmalcolm

Its kind of a Supra topic question but kind of not lol..

Recently I solved an issues with a misting headlight. The solution was to scoop out with a knife the old sealant that had gone soft to cause moisture to get in. I used normal black silicone sealant and really pushed it into the gaps making a nice seal.

A few months have past and all was good until the other day. I noticed misting in the headlight again (even in the high heat were getting) :banghead: Back to were I was..

So I popped the bonnet and had a good look around the headlight and noticed the sealant was all gooey and wasn't like sealant should be.

So I have come up with the conclusion with the recent heat we have had and engine temps the sealant has somewhat melted and softened.

So my question what is a good black high temp resistant sealant on the market. There's a few out there and it all seems reasonably priced.

Thanks

Paul

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/291080816790?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I was using Tiger sealant black to seal all my headlights after refurb (and i've done 5 pairs already) none of them never misted. I was splitting lenses from body, then clean seal area where there was excess of old sealant, then I was filling it with Tiger seal and put all in owen to heat all up (oven set to 100C) with lens just loosely sitting on the body. Once hot, I pushed lens properly and smear excess around connection line (use baking gloves when pushing it!)

You can also clean and respray plastic covers inside when you are on it. I used matt black spray after sanding rings out(they was peeling) and I took out triangular metal cover from underneath of middle lens for spraying duration and put it back once all is dry - looks nicer imho.

Edited by Konrad (see edit history)

The problem with sikaflex or tiger seal, is that if you ever have to get them back apart, it could cause you major trouble.

I've read that using windscreen sealant is good, because it stays slightly flexible, so will allow for expansion with the plastic. It also should stand up to the engine bay temperature around that area.