The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing rear wing - help?

JackyBoi

Hi all,

It's possible I'm being quite stupid here but I've been looking on the forum for quite a while and can't seem to find a thread about totally removing the rear wing on a Supra and then smoothing it...

So yes; as you may or may not know I have a white Supra RZ-S with a stock rear wing and I'm wanting to take it off and have a totally smooth boot as after seeing other Supra's with no rear wing I think it looks awesome, plus I'll never be driving this car more than 77mph (:sly:) so I don't think it's really necessary. I just want to know what the process involves; do you have to remove it then have the holes filled/smoothed by a bodyshop? Or can you buy something else to get rid of the holes... Sorry I'm still a newby hence why I'm asking the more knowledged Supra owners :D

Cheers guys!

Fit rubber grommets and see if you really like it first, or if your tailgate is in 100% condition buy another

and modify that, they're pretty cheap normally and not hard to change with two of you doing it

Do you know where I can get the rubber grommets from? I'm almost 100% positive I want to rid the rear wing since I'm going for a totally smooth look. Also suits the car since it has a full body kit on it.

Any car parts shop, Halfords etc, i did that on my car but my car was Black so you hardly noticed them.

Or some white tape would do

Do you (or anyone else) by any chance have a photo of the boot lid just after removing a spoiler? I just want to know exactly what the holes will look like once removed so I can gauge whether or not I can just cover it up using grommets/tape or if I should get it smoothed.

If you want permanent then weld the holes up, you can see the rubber grommets on this shot

I have a white Supra so I fear that the black grommets will show up too much... Are you able to spray them white? It's usually quite hard to paint rubber from my experience :/

Yes mine had 3 each side, the centre hole is more of a slot than a hole, can't re call the

sizes as i got mine from a mixed box full in the workshop which i raided till i found ones

that fitted, go to your local motor factors and see what they've got, tape over the holes

in the meantime to keep the water out.

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Yes mine had 3 each side, the centre hole is more of a slot than a hole, can't re call the

sizes as i got mine from a mixed box full in the workshop which i raided till i found ones

that fitted, go to your local motor factors and see what they've got, tape over the holes

in the meantime to keep the water out.

Cheers buddy, doesn't seem like the hardest of jobs but I still wanted to check to see which methods are best to use. Will use grommets temporarily then will be getting it smoothed as I'm never going to require a spoiler :)

Mine was the same as Dunk's but I've seen some people say they only had two bolt holes. The rectangular holes have plastic locator pins in them that need to come out too but they come out with pliers after you remove the spoiler itself. You need to unclip the plastic covering at the bottom of the bootlid (inside), there are about 8 clips holding it on, careful not to snap them by trying to pull or haul it off, take a flat head screw driver to it and gently prize it at each pressure point where the clips are. Most of all, try to keep the bootlid as far closed down as possible as its very easy for the bolts to fall into the bootlid cavity and they're impossible to get out and will rattle forever :D if its closed down you've a better chance of getting them out. I used grommets for the bolt holes and tape for the slots until i was sure i liked it, then got the holes smoothed and the bootlid painted.

If you're going for the smoothed look then you may as well remove the rear wiper at the same time. Itll need a much bigger blanking grommet. I got grommets in a local hardware shop, they usually come in a bag of assorted sizes and are a couple of quid, better to buy two or three packs as you'll need 4 the same size for the bolt holes.

There's a how to somewhere for both the spoiler and wiper removal :)

Mine was the same as Dunk's but I've seen some people say they only had two bolt holes. The rectangular holes have plastic locator pins in them that need to come out too but they come out with pliers after you remove the spoiler itself. You need to unclip the plastic covering at the bottom of the bootlid (inside), there are about 8 clips holding it on, careful not to snap them by trying to pull or haul it off, take a flat head screw driver to it and gently prize it at each pressure point where the clips are. Most of all, try to keep the bootlid as far closed down as possible as its very easy for the bolts to fall into the bootlid cavity and they're impossible to get out and will rattle forever :D if its closed down you've a better chance of getting them out. I used grommets for the bolt holes and tape for the slots until i was sure i liked it, then got the holes smoothed and the bootlid painted.

If you're going for the smoothed look then you may as well remove the rear wiper at the same time. Itll need a much bigger blanking grommet. I got grommets in a local hardware shop, they usually come in a bag of assorted sizes and are a couple of quid, better to buy two or three packs as you'll need 4 the same size for the bolt holes.

There's a how to somewhere for both the spoiler and wiper removal :)

I'll just buy a large set of different grommets from Halfords or something then get to removing it all :)