The mkiv Supra Owners Club

16s am I daft?

LOGIE

Maybe stock 17's instead?

Im on stock 17s now mate. I just remember the handling and grip of the 16s I was throwing the car into the twisty roads with confidence and ease. Im really considering going back to the 16s. Tyres are cheaper too. Win win really.

Im on stock 17s now mate. I just remember the handling and grip of the 16s I was throwing the car into the twisty roads with confidence and ease. Im really considering going back to the 16s. Tyres are cheaper too. Win win really.

Ah fair enough mate, in theory handling should be better on low profile tyres, as there is less sidewall to flex, is my understanding of it anyway, but maybe with are roads 16's are better for a bigger sidewall and like someone else said that is what toyota designed the car to have.

Ah fair enough mate, in theory handling should be better on low profile tyres, as there is less sidewall to flex, is my understanding of it anyway, but maybe with are roads 16's are better for a bigger sidewall and like someone else said that is what toyota designed the car to have.

Outright cornering will be better with lower-profile tyres, but the comfort and confidence of taller sidewalls means very few drivers will notice the performance difference on a spirited drive. Biggers wheels, in 99% of situations, are for looks only.

Logie, you sure you don't just remember the grip being better when your car was NA?

I loved the handling and drivability of my NA-6, it was just so controllable and confidence inspiring.

Logie, you sure you don't just remember the grip being better when your car was NA?

I loved the handling and drivability of my NA-6, it was just so controllable and confidence inspiring.

Bit of both mate. I did really enjoy the comfort and cornering of the 16s Sunny. Ok so they aren't as aesthetically pleasing but thats never been the sort of thing that bothers me. Id rather drive a car thats spot on mechanically and handling well than a prize winning show car with 19s and hoover belts for tyres.