The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rhubarb's '@&#$ my pants' v8 project

Guest Rhubarb

Guest Rhubarb

So after a little while watching you all natter away, and one truly epic fail and trying to create a project thread, I wanted to lay down my intentions and provide a basis for me to see what I have done, hiccups found and resolutions for you all to see and hopefully a a reference guide.

I'm using the 1uzfe block from an ls400, I already have one but another has come up at too good a price to ignore and with 57k ok the clock!! So the guy says, fingers crossed I obtain proof of this. All be it a low mileage engine I'm still going to strip, clean and rebuild it as I want to ensure it runs as smoothly as possible before sticking it in any car!! Rebuild will include decked block and polished heads, lowering the compression ratio to allow for the use of forces induction - in the form of twins!!!!

Gearbox options - I don't know right now. Have spoken to a few manufacturers regarding a custom box, but looking at either the v160 or getrag.

The car itself is a shell - this is of no bother to me as it is going to make it a lot easier to achieve the final result I want. I don't mind rebuilding it from the ground up and finding the pieces as I go.

I don't pick any of this up till after the 20th this month so as each part arrives back at my unit, pics will emerge.

I hope this to be a fun yet interesting build and welcome everyone's comments and suggestions along the way. Critiscism is also welcome, but at the end of the day this is my car and I'm the only one that needs to like it :) (however if I do something that is outright ridiculous!!! I may listen to the constructive :))

Guest Rhubarb
V160 is a Getrag 'box ;)

Sounds like an exciting (and expensive) project!

Yeah.... I knew that......

Sorry really tired and been googling almost constantly!!

Yeah fingers crossed this will be a lot of fun but the bank are going to hate me!!!!!

Guest Rhubarb
Id start by looking in the project cars section. RyanG has done this already. Lots of good info as to where to get you custom bellhousing and flywheel

Epic news thanks for that mate appreciated

Guest Rhubarb
Bear in mind that you need a Soarer sump (not easy to find separately because there aren't many wrecked engines), and the early UZ rods are a lot stronger.

Yeah I had read those details so I'm probably going to look at either modding it myself or just go on the hunt