The mkiv Supra Owners Club

calling out to N/A to TT VVT-i swappers

Bayden_uk

so i decided to go for the TT VVT-i engine. basicly im making the thread so anyone can give me any advice on when making the swap. i dont want to get the engine an then find out i have to buy a hell of alot more, id rather just buy the lot an go at it. so any advice would be helpful.

cheers

Ben

Yep as scooter says. I nearly went vvti when I done my NA-TT. Vvti uses an electronic "drive by wire" throttle. Which throws up all sorts of complications. I opted for pre vvti in the end which was much simpler and pre vvti engines are essier to tune if you ever decide to go beyond BPU.

I went VVTi with my NA6. The VVTi is a bit more complicated as mentioned but it is only a little bit of wiring which needs to be done. If you are doing it yourself then you'll need to dig up the information on the forum. Mine went smoothly until we noticed you couldn't get it to rev via the DBW, turned out to be the throttle body on the engine I brought died from it sitting around for a number of years. Other than that (touch wood) everyone has been fantastic & as I use it pretty much every weekend & plenty of Europe road trips it spot on.

So the biggest question is have you found a VVTI engine? As that would be quite difficult. Maybe easier if you look in Japan.

I went non VVTI on my NA6, as an early TT Auto donor come up at a decent enough price (was originally going 1JZ), nice easy swap plug and play really, easily done in a couple of days.

Would need to know what car you have at the moment though, NA 5 or 6 Speed Manual, NA Auto. As Abz said do you already have the VVTI engine? Is it a Supra or Aristo one, Manual or Auto Loom and ECU.....

Home from work an made up to see replies! I don't have the vvti yet. I've been reading threads and some people favour the vvti and some don't. I know it's the cheaper option also. What I was going to do was eventually buy all the parts and build a non vvti just so I can learn more about the engine.

I have a NA Auto

Thanks again for the replies guys

Home from work an made up to see replies! I don't have the vvti yet. I've been reading threads and some people favour the vvti and some don't. I know it's the cheaper option also. What I was going to do was eventually buy all the parts and build a non vvti just so I can learn more about the engine.

I have a NA Auto

Thanks again for the replies guys

It's not the cheaper option, the engines cost roughly the same. The VVTi generally tends slightly to be more expensive due to being newer\lower miles.

I went for the VVTi because it was the lowest confirmed mileage I could buy, which came out of a Supra (so the front slump doesn't need to be modified).

Having owned by, the VVTi certainly feels more torquely, especially around town and low revs.

Happy to answer any questions if you do end up buying a VVTi, Garage786 did my engine swap (based in Leicester).

I also hear the vvti is better on fuel too. Don't know if it's true tho. I was thinking maybe going down the road of a N/A-at but from what I've been reading I mays well just get a GTE swap because it's not far off the same price.

Cheers again for the replies guys. Abz I'll keep you in mind mate :)

Now that I mentioned it I wouldn't mind getting some N/A-T folk involved in the thread :)

I also hear the vvti is better on fuel too. Don't know if it's true tho. I was thinking maybe going down the road of a N/A-at but from what I've been reading I mays well just get a GTE swap because it's not far off the same price.

Cheers again for the replies guys. Abz I'll keep you in mind mate :)

Now that I mentioned it I wouldn't mind getting some N/A-T folk involved in the thread :)

It is ever so slightly better, hardly noticeable. I just did 370 miles to a tank on a road trip to France with my wife & daughter. Going easy helped!!

So what about the auto gear box I have. Will that cope with the TT? Will I be looking for a new box too?

I am not 100% sure but I believe the auto on the NA & TT are different so you'll need to change this if you go down the TT route. Good thing is they aren't that expensive.