The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap Ballast of ebay or new kit

mplavery

Anyone had a cheap ebay ballest for there HID's

One of mine has packed up which I got from Knight Racer many years back

knight racer sell the kits for £70 but you can just get the Ballast of ebay for £15

Just seem cheap and don't want anything dodgy .. Though I must admit mine look like a ebay set lol

So ebay or knight racer for a new kit ? Lol

That's interesting

Was thinking of just given it a go

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/standard-XENON-HID-ballast-35W-AC-/261366139375?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cdaa2c9ef

Do you remember what one you got Graham ?

No I can't mate. I just tried to find it on eba but as it was so long ago the item description is not listed.

Iirc it was a Uk seller and it was under £30 for everything.

Ive got 2/3 ballasts sitting here at home if you need bud. If you are going to buy new, just get them off ebay - they are pretty much all made in the same place anyway. Ive taken some of the higher end ones apart, and theres not much more in them quality wise

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased a HB3 kit from an eBay seller. Plugged in and neither side worked. Purchased another kit from a different seller, never arrived. Purchased a third kit from a third seller and they worked. Went for a more expensive metal case as the thin ballast set went straight into the bin.

A pointer for anyone considering fitting a HID kit into j-spec headlights is the HB3 bulb lugs do not align with the correct bulb orientation. The return insulated wire should be at the 6 o'clock position according to commentators on the web but is more like at the 2 o'clock position if fitted into the lamp unit without modding the lugs. To get the bulb orientation correct hacksaw off half from the top part of the lug to the right of the bulb (looking down along the length of the bulb, holding the leads with the bulb pointing away from you). You can then fit the bulb to the recommended orientation that does give a raised light pattern relative to the alternative fitment that had the illumination restricted to just in front of the car. Its all to do with the 9005j&6j bulbs having different lug sizes and offsets to the European 9005&6 bulbs.

So, eBay is the best place for cheap kits but don't be surprised if you need to go through more than one purchase to gain a working set.

Edited by rider (see edit history)

So, eBay is the best place for cheap kits but don't be surprised if you need to go through more than one purchase to gain a working set.

Just turn the power connector around, even though they fit and click in one way, 80% of time it's wrong, turn it around and they will work had this with the last 3 sets i bought.

Just turn the power connector around, even though they fit and click in one way, 80% of time it's wrong, turn it around and they will work had this with the last 3 sets i bought.

I tried the polarity all ways, every ways. Even offered to make it a brew. Just a bad kit.