The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full respray recommendations

JackyBoi

Hi all

I'm wanting to get a full respray on my Supra (wanting to go with gunmetal grey) and was wondering if anyone can recommend a body shop within 100 miles or so from Cambridge? I've budgeted around 3-4k so hopefully will be enough to get a good job done.

Cheers!

If you want a proper, windows-out quality job then £4k won't touch it. Don't you like the colour of yours then?

Not sure if that's strictly true, I have a friend who paid £4500 for a full respray from black to red (on a Beamer) and it came out mint, and still is even though he had it done about 2 years ago and rags his car to death! 👍

Not sure if that's strictly true, I have a friend who paid £4500 for a full respray from black to red (on a Beamer) and it came out mint, and still is even though he had it done about 2 years ago and rags his car to death! 

Each to their own - I just know if I were spending that sort of cash I would expect absolute perfection, and at that sort of budget I doubt that's what I'd get. I am a bit anal when it comes to perfection, though. I'd be bring my detailer mate with me to get the quote and to check the work done afterwards. Too many horror stories around... and a bad paintjob will seriously affect the value of your car.

It's a job best done properly, especially on a car as desirable (and expensive) as yours! :)

Yeah, ever since I started looking for one I've always wanted to come across a grey one but the white one was still gorgeous so I went with it knowing I can just get a respray!

Seems a waste of money to me and if a car has been re-sprayed a lot of people are fussy and it may de-value the car. If you are going from white to gunmetal you would have to take the engine out or it will look terrible.

I like cars to be original where possible and subtle changes, you can get away with but a complete change of colour will need some serious money throwing at it. All IMO of course.

Good luck

H.

Seems a waste of money to me and if a car has been re-sprayed a lot of people are fussy and it may de-value the car. If you are going from white to gunmetal you would have to take the engine out or it will look terrible.

I like cars to be original where possible and subtle changes, you can get away with but a complete change of colour will need some serious money throwing at it. All IMO of course.

Good luck

H.

Listen to this man he talks sense white to gunmetal has to be an engine /windows out job and would be around 6 to 7k and when added to what you have already paid for the car just does not make financial sense!!

whats everyones need to own a gun metal supra! stick with white mate, maybe play around with some accents but nothing like a white supra! mine is being resprayed on wednesday from 040 white to the audi ice white or Arctic white depending who you ask :) even flirting with the idea of fluorescent yellow calipers so they pop out of my black and chrome rims! will see haha stay white looks good and you will save yourself a world of hurt.

I got a quote recently from an accident repair and respray garage, they recommended that a budget of £4k would cover the outside bodywork for a respray, if your looking at getting the sills, inside the door seals, engine bay, boot lid innards etc (all the bits you see when you open something lol) expect to double that figure due to the labour involved.

I suppose it's like the old saying with tattoos :

Good tattoos aren't cheap - and cheap tattoos aren't good!

Suppose the same principle could be applied to resprays? Unless you've got a mate that owns a booth or something.

On a side note.... Have you thought about getting the car wrapped?

It's half the price and if you decide in a few years time you don't like it you just get the wrap taken off!

Autodoc is in Norwich and he a club trader mate

+1 yup speak to Adam at autodoc has been a member for years and now a trader ive seen some of his work its amazing id say.. you can find some pics on facebook aswell

whats everyones need to own a gun metal supra! stick with white mate, maybe play around with some accents but nothing like a white supra! mine is being resprayed on wednesday from 040 white to the audi ice white or Arctic white depending who you ask :) even flirting with the idea of fluorescent yellow calipers so they pop out of my black and chrome rims! will see haha stay white looks good and you will save yourself a world of hurt.

That sounds sweet mate I also heard its much cheaper when you respray a car but to a similar example? For example do you think it would look boss if I just had it done-over in the iciest-ice-white ever? Cos I think that would be sweet, plus I'm not paying 8k for a respray if you're all saying it's gonna be engine/windows out!!