The mkiv Supra Owners Club

From rags to 6speed

Grasmt

Decided to start a thread so i can keep a record of what ive done to the car since ownership.

So to start with this is how she looked when i bought her in january 2014 from a member on the forum.

It was imported in 2005 with 189Kkm on the shell with a 2jz-gte engine and W58, the engine was rebuilt and installed by austec racing payed for by the previous owner.

Myself and my mate flew from aberdeen to luton to pick this car up with the intension of driving it the 550+miles home, unfortunately we only made it 170miles before the engine let go on us, serious bottom end knocking :( to this day i still dont know why it happened..

After the 14hour trip home thanks to the AA, i found myself with a nice supra that i couldnt do anything with, lucky for me i managed to find a smashed supra just a mile outside of my town which had a very low millage GTE engine lurking under the bonnet, 88000km on the clock and managed to get the entire car for next to nothing!

So me and my old man set to work ripping the new engine out of the wrecker and swapping it into my supra, unfortunately, i didnt get any pics of this as i was in more of a hurry to get the car on the road, but this is how she looks after the engine fitted, tein springs and a set of zunsport grills :)

imageimageimage

The car currently sits a 1bar boost with bpu upgrades, it didnt take long for me to realise why the W58 is a shite box!

imageimage

The box tore itself to bits and left me yet again up shit creak, i spent almost a month looking for a replacement gearbox with no luck, but luck found one in the form of yet another wrecked supra, this time it came with another low millage engine, 40k miles and V160 gearbox :D, again i didnt get pics at the time but to say im now over the moon is an understatement!

The car is now what i was always after, a black TT6!

Again i never got any pics of this as i was in too much of a rush to get the car going, amd i got it going just in time for a local show which raises road safety awareness, myself and Drift_bear attended and sowed face on behalf of the forum, the attention that our two TT6 supras was ace and we got a few pics at the show and a few more out at hopeman beach a little drive away from the show.

imageimageimageimageimage

Thats about it so far, im going to be taking my time with this car as i want to make sure whatever i do to it is done right and the way i want it, but there will be big changes on the horizon :)

Also my best mate asked me to be his best man to his wedding recently and also asked to be driven to it in the soup, i wasnt going to say no!

Edited by Grasmt (see edit history)

I know, just gutted i havent gotten pics when doing the engine swap or the gearbox, but now

Ive an excuse to stop every 20mins to get pics!

You know first hand how far ive taken this car im the months that ive had it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Some other things ive done along the way:

Black rooflinging and also black carpet from another facelift i broke up

D1 gauges, oil temp, oil pressure and boost

And also painted the masks on my pre facelift headlights, which are also glass ;)

Went a bit mental recently and bought some parts:

First off i bought drift_bears Ridox carbon roof spoiler, which in my opinion changes the look of the car in such a better way!

imageimageimage

Also bought some other bits from alex(drift_bear), battery relocation kit and washer bottle relocation kit. Also bought an AEM AFR gauge, black braided hose and fittings for an oil cooler kit and filter relocation kit which is still in the post. And an S2000 stubby from the group buy

imageimage

The biggest update ive got is when i bought the lastest breaker for the gearbox it also came with some battered up Confetti Recaro seats, which i had to keep and sort!

So bought replacement lower bolsters, followed westy's guide on how to replace the bolsters and this is how i got on..

To start with

Removed all covers and threw them in the wash

New bolsters fitted and also cleaned covers fitted

imageimageimage

Came out not bad i think!

Then set about making a bracket to hold my battery and washer bottle in the boot

Used a piece of aluminium i had lying about, edging tidy, the standard battery tray and 2 threaded bars,

imageimage

Test fitting inside the boot, use an old towel i had to cover the lot to keep the oem look to it, did this so that i didnt have to cut the carpet aswell so that it can always be put back to standard image image

All for just now. :)

Sound good budddy!

Going to throw the car into the garage tomorrow, get it up on the ramp.

Going to remove the bumper wings etc so i can do a little wire tuck and also wire in the battery. Think im going to spray the bumper while its off, lets the car down i think. Get it looking pretty for JAE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got some work done over the weekend.

Bumper painted and test fitted( still have bits to do so left it off for the moment) imageimage

Also got my oil lines fitted for cooler and also the oilstat mounted. Everything runs in between the wings to keep everything tidy. With the washer bottle now in the boot there was more room to do this.imageimageimage

Great work on that. It's brilliant making a car your own and putting those little touches on it. At least it's all worked out for you even although it hasn't been easy.

One thing to note... where did you get those Recaros? They have the felt belt guides which could indicate they are OEM. Does the seat recline adjust on both sides, or just the "outside" of each seat?

Just the outside of each seat, they are OEM, they came out of a facelift which i broke up to get the gearbox from, they werent in the greatest of condition when i took them out of the car but i think ive done them justice cleaning them up.

The car in general has been a rollercoaster of a journey right down to my reasoning to why i bought it in the first place. However if it was easy everyone would be doing it! At least the worst came early :)

Just the outside of each seat, they are OEM, they came out of a facelift which i broke up to get the gearbox from, they werent in the greatest of condition when i took them out of the car but i think ive done them justice cleaning them up.

The car in general has been a rollercoaster of a journey right down to my reasoning to why i bought it in the first place. However if it was easy everyone would be doing it! At least the worst came early :)

Great stuff. Won a watch with them then as they are getting rarer by the minute :)