The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Next car

Guest Chrisc1992

Guest Chrisc1992

Hi I have currently got a astra sxi 1.8 and I have been attracted to the supras but due to my age and how long I have been driving I was looking at the non turbo models, I. Won't be able to get insurance on a turbo just yet :(

What I was thinking of doing is getting a non turbo and doing a engine swap for a turbo what are you guys thoughts?

Cheers Chris

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

An NA is plenty quick enough if you're coming from a 1.8, and you could in a few years go NA-T (Put a turbo on the NA) if age/insurance is currently a problem. Or even easier would be to sell the NA and buy a TT once you can get insurance. Not sure a complete engine swap would be the way forward though unless you really want to keep the car....

What quotes are you getting and who with ?

I thought it was just as expensive to insure an na as it is for a tt, well it is

when i do the online comparison sites

I just did a quote from my decent postcode but age 22, 5 yrs ncb on a £3k na doing

3000 miles, garaged and its nearly £1400 with A Flux :blink:

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Guest Chrisc1992

The quotes are coming in at £1560 a year that's tptf.

If I was to get the conversation kit would i take it I would need to remap the ecu etc?

I got mine when I was 20 and insurance was nothing like that. I think it was £1400 fully comp for a year, just turned 24 now it's down too around £300

I spose I'm lucky with my postcode, try admiral, me and my misses both have out cars with them and they seem pretty cheap!

Especially with multi car :)

Just a point, if you think its going to be cheaper to insure an N/A with a TT engine swap then just a factory TT I would think you will be wrong. Best it will be is the same price but likely it will be a good bit more expensive...

Guest Chrisc1992

Admiral quote 1392 and 227 a month but that's only over 9 months so will be cheaper is I get get it over 11 or 12

Guest Chrisc1992

What insurance did you got with ripped_fear? And what do you mean when you say risk with the conversion

I have just done a quote with a tt and it's coming in full comp 2346 and 382 a month but if I drop to tptf it will be cheaper?

I will check that out now cheers tkddav.

Also what the best place for car parts as price up conversions lol

If you are already looking at a conversion, you'd be better off buying a TT to begin with.

An N/A @ £3,000, plus conversion costs (£3,000 for turbo kit alone), then you've got extras, labour etc, and explaining it all to your insurance company, you will probably be better off just starting with the TT and having the option to mod for more power from there.