The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project - Turbo Snail

gordy.r

Ok, so I wasn't going to do a build thread, but there's two reasons for this:

1) So I can keep track of what I am doing / have done.

and

2) So I can ask advice on certain mods and not waste money buying bits I may not require.

Spec list as follows, some of which has been fitted, some of which has been bought but not yet fitted, and the rest still to buy!

Engine - Stock internals, NGK Cold grade spark plugs, Silicone turbo link pipes, High lift 264 cams kit (TBC), engine detailing and custom spark plug cover.

Gearbox - OEM 4 speed auto, SRD auto box oil cooler kit.

Turbos - Bog Warner 60mm single turbo kit, Gizzmo ms-2 boost controller (with FCD).

ECU - Syvecs with traction control, wideband knock & lambda sensors.

Cooling - Whifbitz FMIC with SRD FMIC stainless steel I/C plate, Whifbitz aluminium radiator and hard pipe kit, Standard airbox with K&N high flow panel filter.

Fuelling - Larger injectors (TBC), Bosch 044 fuel pump.

Suspension/Handling - Bilstein shocks with Eibach lowering springs, Whifbitz TR Front strut, Whifbitz Rear strut brace, New bush kits all round, Kenny Brown geometry set up, OEM LSD.

Brakes - UK spec calipers, Discs & Pads (TBC), Braided brake lines.

Exterior Styling - RMM/Wings West front lip, Stock Body, S2000 stubby aerial.

Interior - Recaro Seats with retrim in Leather/Alcantara, Half Roll Cage.

ICE - Kenwood DNX7200 GPS Satnav double din stereo.

Alloys & Tyres - XXR 527's - front 18x8.75 et20 & rear 18x9.75 et20

Exhaust - Blitz NUR Spec R, Whifbitz 1st and 2nd decats.

Colour - To be revealed! :-)

Any and all advice is much appreciated and anyone with any good or bad experiences with certain bits of kit, it would be good to hear what those experiences were!

I'm hoping to have all the BPU work done in one go in the coming months as the pile of parts is starting to build up in my conservatory.

The hybrids (although I'm having dirty thoughts of going Single) will be further down the line as will the colour change.

Here is a pic of what she looks like just now at the start of the project:

image.jpg

Edited by gordy.r (see edit history)

Based on you're list, I'd suggest a small single over the hybrids. You're doing everything else anyway, and the difference between a single turbo/manifold and a set of decent hybrids would be minimal.

This is the quandary I am in, I shall see how I feel when the time comes, but I fear you may be right :)

You shouldn't need a boost controller with Syvecs bud. The ecu will control that. Also if you are not a visual tart the smic is more efficient for the hybrid twins over a fmic. Maybe a Chris Wilson uprated smic bud. Just a thought. :)

Cool, I wasn't too sure about the BC with Syvecs, but that's good to know as it will save a few bob which can go towards the turbos / single conversion. I did look into a CW Side mount as they look to be a great bit of kit, it's still an option, but would it support a small 60mm billet single if I went that route?

I saw it going down Glasgow road the other day, I think the good lady was driving it.

What!!!!! I'll need to address this immediately and take the appropriate disciplinary actions lol :D

Cool, I wasn't too sure about the BC with Syvecs, but that's good to know as it will save a few bob which can go towards the turbos / single conversion. I did look into a CW Side mount as they look to be a great bit of kit, it's still an option, but would it support a small 60mm billet single if I went that route?

I believe a Member on here happily ran 600bhp through his CW SMIC

This is the quandary I am in, I shall see how I feel when the time comes, but I fear you may be right :)

What!!!!! I'll need to address this immediately and take the appropriate disciplinary actions lol :D

My stock mount intercooler will easily cool the single you have in mind. there are serious implications with front mounts on Supras, such as masking the water rad, a lot of the core ineffective as the bumper opening is not the same size as the face of the IC, nor ducted to use the area. The stock side mount is fully ducted and vents into the low pressure wheel arch area. They work amazingly well.

As above a boost controller and the FCD wouldn't be needed as the Syvecs takes control of that :) Also with you mentioning new bushes all round are you referring to poly bushes or new OEM arms & bushes, As OEM bushes would be the better choice albeit a costly task?

My stock mount intercooler will easily cool the single you have in mind. there are serious implications with front mounts on Supras, such as masking the water rad, a lot of the core ineffective as the bumper opening is not the same size as the face of the IC, nor ducted to use the area. The stock side mount is fully ducted and vents into the low pressure wheel arch area. They work amazingly well.

Chris, was it Tony's Blitz Twins setup that ran a safe 650bhp with your side mount?

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

So this turned up today:

Whifbitz alloy Radiator and Blitz 1.3 bar rad cap

Alloy radiator hard pipe kit

Whifbitz 1st and 2nd decat pipes

Whifbitz TR front strut brace

NGK spark plugs

1.2 bar restrictor rings (for just now on stock jdm twins)

Bosch 044 uprated fuel pump with one way mod

HKS FCD (whilst BPU)

Whifbitz silicone turbo link pipes

Bits already on the car include:

Blitz NUR Spec R exhaust

Braided brake lines

K&N panel filter with OEM air box

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 18" alloys

Kenwood Satnav double din head unit

Time for some more shopping! :D

Go single from the start, I did almost exactly what you describe above to my last TT6 and it was a lot of money for little gain over full BPU, you will soon get used to the small power gain and crave more, you will be limited on hybrids

Yeah seems to be the way ahead. I know I will crave more power, and I am very, VERY impatient so I would probably only have the hybrids on 6 months and then look to change lol

Going to build as for a small single and then look to see what the companies are offering nearer the time.

Not after huge power, so a 60mm billet Borg Warner set up is kind of what I'm looking at.

Cheers for the advice all!

Hybrids is a good set up if done proper tbh, its all down to what you want in the future tbh! If your happy enough at just over bpu, if you plan on more power then go single. If I had to do it all again then I would of went single. The only reason I took the hybrids to the max was to see how much I can get out of them and what they were capable off, since nobody had really tried it before (going by what SRD thought).

I've got everything now to go single apart from a few things and a bigger exhaust, since my plan was to go single as soon as the hybrids gave up (which they haven't) or I got bored and wanted more power (that's now happened)

Yeah I had looked at your set up and was impressed.

I don't want to be running a set up where everything is running at its absolute maximum and I feel if I went hybrids then that would be the case in the search for the power I desire. I like to have a little bit of spare capacity or redundancy built in just to ensure all is ok when 'giving it the beans' lol.

Cheers for the input, I'll keep an eye out for your single build as well! :)

Yeah seems to be the way ahead. I know I will crave more power, and I am very, VERY impatient so I would probably only have the hybrids on 6 months and then look to change lol

Going to build as for a small single and then look to see what the companies are offering nearer the time.

Not after huge power, so a 60mm billet Borg Warner set up is kind of what I'm looking at.

Cheers for the advice all!

If your turbos are in good working I'd personally not bother with hybrids, I'd spend the money instead on cams and ECU for now then fit the single turbo when ready.

If your turbos are in good working I'd personally not bother with hybrids, I'd spend the money instead on cams and ECU for now then fit the single turbo when ready.

Yeah they seem to be, only covered approx 48k miles although they are 20 years old. That's why I'm reluctant to change them just now as I think there's a fair bit of life left in them.

• 3 weeks later...

So today's progress went a little like this:

New Whifbitz TR front strut installed and Stubby aerial fitted (although no reception yet, I will see where I may have gone wrong lol)

Next HKS mushroom filter removal this afternoon and OEM box with K&N filter to be put in!

Have you been a busy boy cleaning under the hood Gordy, looks a lot better than last time, from memory. Nice additions, keep them coming :thumbs:

Yeah, had a quick wipe around with a cloth, need some decent degreaser fluid, any recommendations?

Yeah, had a quick wipe around with a cloth, need some decent degreaser fluid, any recommendations?

Use an APC around the bay rather than a proper degrease. Auto Finesse Citrus Power & Autosmart G101 are some of the better ones and I've tried and tested most :)

Use an APC around the bay rather than a proper degrease. Auto Finesse Citrus Power & Autosmart G101 are some of the better ones and I've tried and tested most :)

As above, this man knows how to clean :).

I also recently tried out the AM Details APC and was really pleased the product and its cleaning ability, not too expensive either Gordy

Cheers guys! I shall get myself some of the aforementioned and get cracking on... I just so happen to have a bench grinder with polishing kit coming my way so I'll be taking all the pipes off (and renewing at the same time) and it whilst the other bits are getting a good shine put on to them I'll give the bay a good clean! :)