The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tips on fulfilling my dream

Guest ctconley

Guest ctconley

Hey guys, just a new fellow member with some quick questions. My name is Calvin Conley and I am currently 18. My brother Jonathon used to drive a Supra to school and he would drop me off and I remember always watching him leave until I couldn't hear his car or see his taillights. I have a lot of good memories sitting on the driveway staring at the car waiting for the day I could drive it. Unfortunately my brother sold his car when I was ten. I cried for probably a month haha. I started mowing lawns and washing neighbors cars when I was ten and worked two jobs through high school to get a Supra. Even now I currently have a very stable job and affording college is really no longer an issue. So now I have turned my eyes towards getting that dream car of mine. I don't want to plasti-dip its soul and raise it up to 1200 HP. I just want a nice stock twin turbo that I can throw some nice wheels on and keep clean. My ideal Supra is...

*MKIV

*White

*Six-Speed

*Targa Top

*Twin Turbo

My only problem is that I live in Des Moines, IA. After searching craigslist, ebay, cars.com, autotrader, supraforums, backpages, cargurus, and every other google link that came up, it has become clear that the nearest supra will be quite the distance away. I am posting this to get advice on what to ask and request picture of that will give me the best idea on the cars I'm looking at. My brothers all told me that the day I find one worth going to look at, they'll pay to fly me out to the cars location and if it is worth the money, I can drive it back and make a nice little road trip out of it. I have no intentions of purchasing a car online, ever. But I will have to gather as much information as possible before I spend the time and money to fly to any locations. So, what are the best questions to ask? What should I request pictures of? What are the absolute Yes's and the absolute No's? What locations should I be searching to find a well conditioned Supra? What should keep me interested, and what should make me walk away from a purchase? Note that I cannot do a walk around, I have noticed that a lot of dealerships online upload videos of full breakdowns, walk throughs, start-ups ect.

Thank you to those who take the time to read all this and reply! Any and all advice/wisdom is welcome!

I have a few other various questions I'll post below...they're miscellaneous but need answers! Thanks again.

Miscellaneous...

*I just recently saw a video of a Supra with a front active spoiler? Any ideas on what year this was a feature and or where could I purchase one?

*What is, in your opinion, the best HID or HALO headlight for the money?

* With so many people applying the carbon diffusers to their car, are there any hazards or complications that come with installing such parts?

*What would be some effective Subwoofer setups that I can install in a Supra without taking up too much space?

*In almost every Supra video I see there are, what I assume to be, launch control systems that allow Supras to spit out flames like it's their 9-5 job. How do people achieve this and isn't that a little hard on the vehicle?

That's all I've got for now, thanks for reading and answering!

Hi newby.

Iowa, your smack bang in the middle, you got options in every direction :-)

I have very little wisdom to offer unfortunately - but white, TT6, :D

I think the active spoiler was an option throughout the years of the MKiv, usdm I'm not so sure on tho. Pretty hard to come by in second hand market, rarely come up. (Or I've not seen many in the UK, presume u know this is predominantly a UK site but everyone's welcome 👍)

Others with vast knowledge will be along shortly

You didn't think that perhaps supraforums was a better place to ask this question being as there's several thousand miles between the two nations?

And a little pond :D

Loads of information on this forum on what to look out for young chap but it might be best to get the low down on the cars in the states. We have a couple of fella's on the forum from the states who might be able to advice if they see this.

Good luck!