The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"SOLVED" HELP! Need some air con advice. :)

a98pmalcolm

Hay all.

Ok so a year or 2 ago I noticed my air con not working (it was an amazing AC system before). So this week I desired to get it sorted.

Popped to see my mate to get it re-gassed but before that he tested for leaks, low and behold a pipe a was split. So that was replaced and then time for test number 2. All pressure held fine so he re-gased it. After the correct pressure was in-line and checked it held we tested the air con.. No luck :(

So after a small examination of the car on idle he noticed (sorry if I get this wrong) that the magnetic clutch in the pully :blink: lol wasn't engaging.

Now when I push the AC button on the heater control the light pops on to indicate I pressed it.

So my mode of thing atm is either the clutch thingy on the pully isn't working (he said very unlikely) or there is no signal being sent to it i.e: a spit wire.

Any ideas people or if any of you have come across the same issue?

Thanks

Paul

Edited by a98pmalcolm
SOLVED (see edit history)

The air con system has a pressure switch that will stop the compressor working if the pressure is too low, try bridging the wires on the pressure switch to see if the clutch kicks in.

That way at least your narrowing down what it could be.

I would get a replacement heater control unit and start there (the unit on the dash with all the buttons).

Alternatively have you done a diagnostic test on the heater system?

Ah balls I did have a spare but I sold it lol. We tryed a diagnostic test via the engine bay plug but it said it couldn't connect with car.

Ah balls I did have a spare but I sold it lol. We tryed a diagnostic test via the engine bay plug but it said it couldn't connect with car.

I've added a link to my post above. There is a specific fault diagnostic test you can do via the buttons on the heater controls. Stupid easy.

I've added a link to my post above. There is a specific fault diagnostic test you can do via the buttons on the heater controls. Stupid easy.

Ok. Just done the diagnostic test and the windscreen is the one that flashes so is that the defrost one? Meaning an issue with solor sensor circuit??

Is it running on a syvecs?

Hay all.

Ok so a year or 2 ago I noticed my air con not working (it was an amazing AC system before). So this week I desired to get it sorted.

Popped to see my mate to get it re-gassed but before that he tested for leaks, low and behold a pipe a was split. So that was replaced and then time for test number 2. All pressure held fine so he re-gased it. After the correct pressure was in-line and checked it held we tested the air con.. No luck :(

So after a small examination of the car on idle he noticed (sorry if I get this wrong) that the magnetic clutch in the pully :blink: lol wasn't engaging.

Now when I push the AC button on the heater control the light pops on to indicate I pressed it.

So my mode of thing atm is either the clutch thingy on the pully isn't working (he said very unlikely) or there is no signal being sent to it i.e: a spit wire.

Any ideas people or if any of you have come across the same issue?

Thanks

Paul

No probs, glad its all sorted :thumbs:

One owes you a beer my friend :D

a credit to the forum

Deffo. It's very rare that an issue can't be resolved from members on here. Like the AC pip I needed. Discontinued from Toyota now so who else but Keron at Extreme performance to have one available (thats twice the past few months he's helped)