The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Facelift rears...worth it?

Scoboblio

I'm seriously considering replacing my pre-facelift rear lights for the facelift versions... but I think it's more of a desire to make my soop seem newer than it is and I'm not all together sure if they'll actually look any better (my soop's red).

So I'm after opinions, do you think is's really worth it?

I've looked at pics of both pre and post facelift cars but still can't make my mind up :conf:

Looks like the main (only?) difference is the grey surround to the lights (pre facelift lights are black).
No the lenses are different as well.

I wasn't a fan of facelift rear lights until I realised how much nicer they are when illuminated.

After owning a facelift car I hated the older style on my other Supra. So I upgraded them a few days ago!

It's dead easy. The old ones used to be wired up with one of the reds on each side as fogs and didn't come on when braking. The new ones had a red light in one of the reverse clear sections. A quick bit of rewiring got them how I wanted.

Simple splicing and rejoining of wires.

Green with a white stripe on the red lights is the brightest on (brake light one) with the white and black stripe as an earth I guessed.

The photo of the wires on my site was how the old ones were done - just twisted!! I used proper connections.

Check it out now - I've just uploaded it for you.

http://www.pbarfield.com/gallery Look under MerToc and rear light upgrade.

I might play with the old ones and do something similar that Ray (raystheroof) was thinking with the LEDs as brake lights...but then I like my facelift ones :D

If you dont mind me asking how much extra are they with clear lenses? :conf:

erm no secret as Envy sell them. IIRC they were about 350 for the pair, whereas normal ones are £130 for the pair. quite a big difference i know but i justified it this way. 2 pairs of lights needed, so thats 260 alone. so then the remaining 90 quid goes towards labour, which sounds alot but i also have the satisfaction of having something that looks so much better.

You can see them on Kevins car if u want to see what they look like

Good album there mate :thumbs:

Think I'm going to upgrade, seems like a nice easy(ish) first proper 'mod' :)

No worries. It didn't take me long, only a couple of screws hold each set of lights in, they're physically identical. Just remember to cover the bumper up so you don't scratch anything ;)

As long as you have the loom, bulbs and are ok with a bit of wiring it's dead easy.

No worries. It didn't take me long, only a couple of screws hold each set of lights in, they're physically identical. Just remember to cover the bumper up so you don't scratch anything ;)

As long as you have the loom, bulbs and are ok with a bit of wiring it's dead easy.

Cheers mate,

Does anyone know if the envy lights come with the loom / bulbs, or will I have to get those seperately?