The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What supra should I get?????

Guest shanns

Guest shanns

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would say hi and maybe get a bit of advice as I can't make my mind up on what car to buy.

I was thinking uk spec as the residuals seem to be higher although would they lower if I modified the the car, also quite like aero top as would be nice to get the roof off on the 3 days of summer we have. Have been looking at twin turbo engine does anyone know if if an N/A turbo conversion will have as smooth power gains or just spin the back wheels up when it kicks in.

I have seen a uk spec supra for about 5k but has a few electrical issues ie airbag warning lights (owner says came on when fitting a stereo), warning light for front active spoiler as it was removed for body kit and both door solenoids. I haven't been to see the car but does this sound like Id be opening a can of worms with this car or just a few simple fixes.

Thanks in advance

Kyle

Most of these cars are now like opening a can of worms, very few will be fault free.

Personally i'd be on the look out for a cared for twin turbo be it UK or import in stock

un modified trim.

Have you got any more info on the UK spec ? possible crash damaged car that's been

repaired

Whatever you go to look at, look beyond the bling and paintwork, take someone with

you that knows these cars and read the buyers guide in here

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Some great advice from dnk. These cars are getting to the age now where things start to need replacing even if the car looks very well cared for. Maker sure you give the service history a good check over.

It all depends on personal taste and budget. The jspecs tend to be a lot cleaner as they've seen better winters and less salt on the roads. Especially if you use an importer like JM Imports to find you a good one.

The UK spec has a lot of extras some jspec models didn't come with and an extra rarity, but in general cost more. Read the buyers guide and compare the model differences.

Any info on the car would allow the forum to help you a bit more too.

Guest shanns
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would say hi and maybe get a bit of advice as I can't make my mind up on what car to buy.

I was thinking uk spec as the residuals seem to be higher although would they lower if I modified the the car, also quite like aero top as would be nice to get the roof off on the 3 days of summer we have. Have been looking at twin turbo engine does anyone know if if an N/A turbo conversion will have as smooth power gains or just spin the back wheels up when it kicks in.

I have seen a uk spec supra for about 5k but has a few electrical issues ie airbag warning lights (owner says came on when fitting a stereo), warning light for front active spoiler as it was removed for body kit and both door solenoids. I haven't been to see the car but does this sound like Id be opening a can of worms with this car or just a few simple fixes.

Thanks in advance

Kyle

Thanks for the quick response this the sellers description of the faults

No tax or test, the solenoids to open both doors have stopped working I bought new ones but haven't had the time to fit them so at the moment the doors only open from the inside, small dent on the bonnet the size of a 5pence where something was dropped on it in the workshop, a couple of lights are on on the dash airbag light came on after fitting a stereo needs resetting and a triangle warning light after the active spoiler was removed to fit the body kit, front left hand indicator has stopped working prob a bulb, could do with a new fuel cut defender as the present one is temperamental

All in all not much needs to be done just a day spent by someone who knows what their doing,I really don't want to sell my supra but it never gets used and spends every day being driven in and out of my workshop as that's where it's kept and these cars really don't like being started and stopped all the time I also have a trd carbon spoiler to replace the veilside that's on it now I will include it if the right price is reached, any questions message me or ring on 07429399135 please don't make any silly offers as a good uk example is going for 7k upwards I have started the auction with what I think is a fair start price due to not having tax or test thanks for looking cash on collection only the car is located in Powys mid wales.....Jon

The cars on eBay for starting bid of 5k but bodywork etc looks quite good from the pics.

ideally I don't want to be spending more than bout £5-6k but at the same time want a car that I might see some of my money back on if I come to sell it also sounds like a random question but can you get car seats to fit the rear seats of a supra.

Guest shanns
Any mechanical history for the car, bills receipts for parts etc, mots, service history.

No have emailed the seller for more info and working on my mrs ;)

Thanks for the quick response this the sellers description of the faults

No tax or test,

Id steer well clear of that, and if you went for it you'd need to budget a few grand to get it up to spec. Plus it looks awful as well.

Theres much nicer, sorted cars for sale without the need to take a risky punt on an eBay car.

Id steer well clear of that, and if you went for it you'd need to budget a few grand to get it up to spec. Plus it looks awful as well.

Theres much nicer, sorted cars for sale without the need to take a risky punt on an eBay car.

Yep, you'd need to send a few thousand to sort it out, many buyers wouldn't want a car with cheap solenoids fitted. The kit & awful rear wing will devalue the car. It's a UK Spec so the underneath could be badly rotted which cost you a lot to repair. If it doesn't have much history or been known in the club then it could be a few more thousands to sort out, things like suspension components aren't cheap.

An yes you can get a couple different child seats in the back but very limited choice.