The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auction "Grade" Help...

Duffers

Hi All...

I'm buying a freshly imported 1996 RZ-S TT in a week or so from a dealer in Keighley (Yorkshire) and wondered what paperwork I should be asking to look at etc. I've heard about auction grading of imported vehicles but who grades them and is the grade down on paper that I can look at?

I'd appreciate any help on what dox I need to be asking to look at before I buy!

I mentioned to the sales guy about what grade it was and he appeared to not know what I was going on about!

Hope I don't buy a lemon!

Paul D

Hi Paul

Yes, I went to see it last week and had a good look over it. It seems okay but I was a bit concerned why the guy didn't know what I meant by grading! I've stuck a deposit on it to secure it for the time being.

It's still on the Keighley site (black 96 rz-s) but I've got a slight hesitation in the back of my mind but I'm not sure why!

I NEED that car!

Paul D

Don't rely on the grading system. It can be open to interpretation. Unless it's a grade 4.5 or 5 (like new) a grade 3 or 4 can be quite open to dispute.

The official auction sheet would be nice to see as it will usually highlight replaced panels, cracked screens, scratches, mileage etc. Just visable stuff. Not often a trader will let you see it though (or even have it available).

The Japanese are a very honerable race and generally are not into the habit of ripping people off. You do pay for what you get though and inspection of the cars from a trusted person as you buy them in the Auctions is a highly desirable to check the mechanical aspects of the car. You could quiz them on their selection process and see if you're happy with that.

Keighley advertise a lot of cars in autotrader and although I've never visited them myselves, I've heard they've had a few ropey examples in the past. Usual stuff applies : Go with an open mind and check all the usual things. If you're not sure, get an RAC check on it.

Hi Paul,

To be fair, I have no personal knowledge of them but from what I've read about them on this forum they have had some pretty dodgy motors in the past. I seem to recall a mkivsupra.net member (was it Neil 'SkyJawa'?) went to look at a car there and was very critical.

Just use your common sense. Check the car and documentation very thoroughly and you should be OK. If possible, take somebody with you who really knows their Suprastuff.

Good luck mate - keep us posted.

Ok....i live close to them..and this is my personal opinion.... and not trying to put u off my competition lol.... i have heard thatwerent of very good std...now i have got into the game myslef ..i see cars ,most are ones that go cheap throu auciton as they have problems or have been poorly repair that go for that go cheap n it makes me wonder if it thats type of thing they get??!??...i personally would ahve them fully checked out or totally avoid... there are a lot more reputable dealers out there.. i also here some may have been clocked????!!... iknow of a few ppl that have had problems with them..search throu MLR..scoobynet ..Mazdarotary club.. and on here ...there rae quite a few post bout them which i would look at b4 i bought...

As for grading if you looking for a clean one..you would be wanting a grade 3.5 or 4... Up to u bud...all i can say is be careful......

Cheers Matt

If ya stuggle to find owt thats in the uk...then please dont hesiste to give me a shout..im more than happy to find ya a decent one from japan...im not that far away from ya..

matt

Matt - Calm the pimping or pay the traders fee and carry on pimping :thumbs:

Paul - I've heard and read a number of negative things about KTC. What disturbs me most is the pretence of not knowing about the auction grading system, the fact that they have no evidence of grading or mileages and the fact that they remove all the jap maintenance stickers from the cars saying what was done when (oil change sticker in door post for example). I've also heard of them covering up many faults in one way or another. Go there with a calm head and take someone that really knows Supra's - get their unbiased opinion on the car you're looking at. I have a feeling Keighley are buying up many of the uk port auction cars - hence the poor quality cheap stock. That's purely my opinion and speculation though.

For info - Decent cars are grade 4 or above, grade 3.5 tend to need a bit of work doing. There is also a world of difference between a grade 3 and a grade 4 car.

There are a number of reputable import traders on this forum that you could get a nice Supra TT through - Paul E above for example has a few cars in stock at the moment and trades on his good reputation.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hello Paul & Brian

Thank you for your comments on this. I'm still going to have a drive over there tomorrow and quiz them on some bits and pieces and see what babble they give me! I'll see what paperwork they can show me and ask them AGAIN about grading etc... I'll let you know what is said tomorrow! I need a covert camera with me! Maybe we should do that one day! Might be a giggle!

Cheers Fellas...

I'll try and get some more pics of it too...

If I don't go for this one, I've GOT to get a black TT with chromes and veilside kit. It just does it for me!

I'll update tomorrow...

Paul D

:nana:

Grade S>6>5 - Brand new to perfect condition

Grade 4.5 - very good condition

Grade 4.0 - good condition

Grade 3.5 - fair condition

Grade 3 - average to poorer condition

Grade 2 - spares/repair

Grade 1 - modified vehicle

Grade 0 / 0.1 / 0.2 - Accident repaired (see vehicle report for replaced parts)

Grade R / R A - Accident repaired / with very clean repair - usually by the insurance companies

A1: small scratch

A2: scratch

A3: big scratch

B1: little dent

B2: dent

B3: bit dent

W1: small repair mark

W2: repaired mark (waved)

W3: not well repaired mark (waved)

C1: small rust/corrosion

C2: rust/corrosion

C3: big rust/corrosion

X: need to be replaced

XX: replaced

H: discoloration

Non Genuine (Not maker's original)

F: Front

R: Rear

T: Temporary (Tyre)

W : double

AC: air condition

AAC: auto air condition

WAC: double air condition

FA: Floor Automatic transmission

CA: Column Automatic transmission

5F: 5 speed Floor manual transmission

5C: 5 speed Column manual transmission

SD: sedan

HT: hard top

PS: power steering

PW: power window

AW: aluminum wheel

ST: stereo

CD: CD player

MD: Mini Disc player

TV: television

ABS: Anti-lock Brake System

AFC: Air Flow Converter

CPU: Central Processing Unit

EVC: Engine Valve Controller (for boostup)

G bird : anti-corrosive paint

LSD: Limited Slip Differential

SRS: air bag

TRC (or TCS): Traction Control System

VICS: Traffic Information Navigator

Nox Regulation : Exhaust gas regulation applicable only in Japan