The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strange scraping noise on the rear wheel.

Guest Knightrider1980

Guest Knightrider1980

Like the title says, I know its not the wheel bearings as they would make a high squealing noise, it happens when not using the breaks like something is either stuck or dust/rust in the breaks, almost sounds like damn a steam engine going if you get what I am on about, can hear it everytime I go near a wall or passing parked cars, I was told when I went to the MOT that the breaks where slightly corroded due to not driving much, so the best I can come up with is rust is trapped in the breaks, any idea how to get rid of that sound?

Guest Knightrider1980
Stone guard rubbing perhaps? Both wheels or one? Jack it up and spin the wheel to pin point exactly where it's coming from.

Just on Rear passenger side wheel I believe,started doing it when I came back from Silverstone, that's why I assume there is either dust or rust trapped in the breaks, I did take the wheel off earlier today but I did not rotate it tho, I WD40 the calipers and breaks and I pushed out the guard also, but sounded the same.

Take the pads out and rub the friction faces on medium grade emery paper held

onto a flat surface, also rub on the disc faces to de glaze the discs

DO NOT put wd40 on discs, calipers or pads, if you need to lubricate the pins

or pad edges and backs use a very small amount of copper grease and don't get

it on the disc faces or pad faces

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Just on Rear passenger side wheel I believe,started doing it when I came back from Silverstone, that's why I assume there is either dust or rust trapped in the breaks, I did take the wheel off earlier today but I did not rotate it tho, I WD40 the calipers and breaks and I pushed out the guard also, but sounded the same.

Silly question but there is friction material left on the pads? Dont take this the wrong way maybe get it checked by a mechanic. As above no WD on brakes!

I've got exactly the same symptoms and it's not the pad. Need to take the whole area to pieces...

We had this last year after the car had been stood still for a while. We started leaving the handbrake off and the problem has gone away.

Drove it on DB14, 1080 miles without the noise coming back.

Hmmm I may try the ol' yank the hand brake on at speed to clean it job... pretty sure I've tried winding it off (inside the disc) to no avail.

I've been doing 220mile journey's in it....so you'd think it would clear!

I am not sure yanking the handbrake at speed is a good idea Alex. I am still not sure what ours was but it hasn't returned after some pretty horrible noises at the time.

Guest Knightrider1980
Hi bud hope you get it sorted out. by the way cool name ;)

Thanks :-) you too, its still doing it, i do believe its break dust trapped, will check out a garage later, will try keeping the handbrake off also which others suggested.

Guest Knightrider1980
Silly question but there is friction material left on the pads? Dont take this the wrong way maybe get it checked by a mechanic. As above no WD on brakes!

Will do , i think i may need new pads or there is dust/rust trapped.

Guest Knightrider1980
Whatever it is its time to take it apart and check the caliper piston for ease of

movement, the sliding pins, handbrake shoes etc etc

I'd overhaul all the brakes if it were mine

It did seem to go away once it rained heavy yesterday on the way home, not sure if it actually was dust.rust and it just got cleaned away, will see today, if it does it again then I will get them checked, sounded terrible at one point when I went to park up in a car park, almost like the brake clamped together and was just grinding.

It did seem to go away once it rained heavy yesterday on the way home, not sure if it actually was dust.rust and it just got cleaned away, will see today, if it does it again then I will get them checked, sounded terrible at one point when I went to park up in a car park, almost like the brake clamped together and was just grinding.

I personally wouldn't be taking any chances with the brakes, if they have never been stripped and overhauled

then in my opinion its a job you need to be doing as they will be on the verge of failing, that goes for the fronts too.

Guest Knightrider1980
I had a similar problem with my front o/s clunking and grinding. Lots of parts were changed including shocks and track rod end without remedy. Turned out to be a warped disc that a new set of discs and pads sorted.

I recently installed my Tein superstreet suspension so i know for a fact it aint the shocks, it is break pads coming to the end of its life, will be buying new pads and replacing them.

Guest Knightrider1980
I personally wouldn't be taking any chances with the brakes, if they have never been stripped and overhauled

then in my opinion its a job you need to be doing as they will be on the verge of failing, that goes for the fronts too.

Will be buying new break pads today, like you i believe its the pads coming to its end and its telling me it needs changing, the discs look fine and not warped at all.

Guest Knightrider1980
The pads probably have spring steel wear indicators that are *DESIGNED* to make a noise and alert the driver when they bear on the *BRAKE* discs. You should be able to see if they have abraded at the tips when you pull the pads.

Thanks chris, will be replacing them myself, just bought a set of pads on the internet so until they arrive they supra will be resting on the drive way until i take the old ones out, will actually change all 4 pads on the car so i have new all around.

Guest Knightrider1980
If you change four pads you will have half a set of new pads, I think you mean eight, or I hope you do ;)

That what i meant lol its the first time i will be doing the change myself also, i will be fine....i think lol