The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking about getting another Supra

ManwithSupra

As above really, I am thinking about getting another Supra for use on the road.

I love the race car but I am missing the days of just hopping into a Supra and going for a nice drive.

I don't obviously want something with all out power as I want the track car to remain the special focus so was thinking about a totally stock TT Auto or NA Manual.

The thing is I don't have much spare cash at the moment as a lot of it is going into a business venture, a house purchase and the track car so I will be looking for a bargain basement blue cross sale purchase (condition is not key, I can sort that out).

I am leaning towards an NA as they are cheap and as you can't really open the taps properly on the road these days thinking its a logical choice.

However I have never been in an NA, I know lots of people say they are slow but will they satisfy my craving for a "sporty" drive.

At the moment If need to go out for a blast I get into my wifes DC2 Integra Type R which is fun and keeps me entertained but will a NA provide as much fun as that?

:D:d:d

An N/A is a great cruiser, but being nearly as heavy as a TT the performance is not exactly sparkling. I love them, but the sad thing is, the N/A engine has to work so hard fuel consumption is nigh on that of a well maintained TT :(

If you feel brave an FD RX-7 will give good performance at fairly modest cost, until it goes pop. Fuel consumption is epic though....

If you feel brave an FD RX-7 will give good performance at fairly modest cost, until it goes pop. Fuel consumption is epic though....

Single-figure mpg figures on the motorway... I'd not call that 'modest'! Plus the build quality is generally terrible. It's not just the engines on the RX7s that you need to be careful of. If it were me I'd be looking at another Toyota for reliability. I quite like the idea of a turbocharged mk3 MR2, but it would need serious work before I'd be able to drive it without a paper bag on my head. Would an auto TT really scratch the itch? How about an NA/T conversion so you can do the gears yourself?

I'd personally go for an auto TT as driving an NA will be a huge disappointment compared to your track car. However if your set on a manual and have a tight budget how about a nice t-top turbo MR2, perfect for the summer, and good value for money.

An N/A is a great cruiser, but being nearly as heavy as a TT the performance is not exactly sparkling. I love them, but the sad thing is, the N/A engine has to work so hard fuel consumption is nigh on that of a well maintained TT :(

Fuel consumption isn't really an issue, it will mainly only be used as a weekend thing or just going to meets etc.

I like the look of the RX7's but I don't fancy having a wankel :)

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

Single-figure mpg figures on the motorway... I'd not call that 'modest'! Plus the build quality is generally terrible. It's not just the engines on the RX7s that you need to be careful of. If it were me I'd be looking at another Toyota for reliability. I quite like the idea of a turbocharged mk3 MR2, but it would need serious work before I'd be able to drive it without a paper bag on my head. Would an auto TT really scratch the itch? How about an NA/T conversion so you can do the gears yourself?

I had an BPU Auto TT before the track car so I think it would be OK, I don't mind the Autobox, agreed manual is more involving and fun but I wont rule out an Auto.

NA/T's have never really done it for me probably because I have never been in one, I wont rule that out either though.

Celica GT4 maybe? Bigger boot than the supra, Quicker than an NA with about the same fuel consumption and being 4x4 and handles well but might not satisfy the sporty bit? . Can be picked up for around 3-4k . Just make sure the suspension has been done recently.

I'd personally go for an auto TT as driving an NA will be a huge disappointment compared to your track car. However if your set on a manual and have a tight budget how about a nice t-top turbo MR2, perfect for the summer, and good value for money.

I did think about a MR2, although I had a bad experience with one, My wife had a Rev2 MR2 Turbo and it had endless issues, nice when it worked but RPITA when it kept going wrong.

Celica GT4 maybe? Bigger boot than the supra, Quicker than an NA with about the same fuel consumption and being 4x4 and handles well but might not satisfy the sporty bit? . Can be picked up for around 3-4k . Just make sure the suspension has been done recently.

There is a thought, I have never been in one, May have a look at these. Something different too.

A nice NA manual with all the creature comforts and a nice burble to the exhaust.

95% of enjoying the car is all about the feeling you get when sitting in it & 75% of even a stock TT's performance is wasted on public roads anyway, though few would admit it.

Get the look, the noise and the handling right & I don't think you'd be disappointed with an NA as a sporty weekend cruiser.

I really don't miss having a quick road car once I know I can go balls-out a few times a year at a track.

I have to disagree on build quality of the FD RX-7. They are a magnificent, sophisticated chassis, the electrics are reliable, and the body does not suffer particularly with rot if you get an import. The diff and gearbox are very reliable. it's just the engine really. Before I had an offer I could not refuse for my mint FD with blown engine I toyed with putting a 1500cc 4 pot in it, just for economical but pretty wheels.

I now have my vet's FD here, that he wants sorting. For some reason he thinks as it's a UK car it's potentially very valuable. The effects of our salty winter roads are all too evident underneath :(

I've owned a GT4, with a couple basic mods they're really, really fun. Sticks to the road like nothing else and are pretty quick. Make sure the Superstrut suspension and the Fig 8's are in good working order. Also, they tend to rust on the doors. Still alot of car for the money. It's no Supra though. ;)

I have to disagree on build quality of the FD RX-7. They are a magnificent, sophisticated chassis, the electrics are reliable, and the body does not suffer particularly with rot if you get an import. The diff and gearbox are very reliable. it's just the engine really. Before I had an offer I could not refuse for my mint FD with blown engine I toyed with putting a 1500cc 4 pot in it, just for economical but pretty wheels.

I now have my vet's FD here, that he wants sorting. For some reason he thinks as it's a UK car it's potentially very valuable. The effects of our salty winter roads are all too evident underneath :(

In my experience they're awful. The interior falls apart, switchgear is flimsy and that rat's nest of a wiring loom is a proper nightmare if anything goes wrong. My best friend has owned his for about eight years now and it's been no end of hassle. Last time I got in it the door handle fell off :)

A nice NA manual with all the creature comforts and a nice burble to the exhaust.

95% of enjoying the car is all about the feeling you get when sitting in it & 75% of even a stock TT's performance is wasted on public roads anyway, though few would admit it.

Get the look, the noise and the handling right & I don't think you'd be disappointed with an NA as a sporty weekend cruiser.

I really don't miss having a quick road car once I know I can go balls-out a few times a year at a track.

I agree, most of the time you never get to open the taps on the roads, It seems that as soon as the sun comes out every old person on earth that owns a Honda Jazz comes out as well and then clogs up the roads with cars full of tree's, flowers, Zimmer frames and their friends bulging out of every crack.

I do love the look of the Supra, Probably why I have owned a Supra for getting on for 9 1/2 half years. Its a hard shape to beat for sure.

The Pathfinder is nice to drive but god its boring.. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I've owned a GT4, with a couple basic mods they're really, really fun. ...... It's no Supra though. ;)

Exactly... thats what I keep coming back to as well.

In my experience they're awful. The interior falls apart, switchgear is flimsy and that rat's nest of a wiring loom is a proper nightmare if anything goes wrong. My best friend has owned his for about eight years now and it's been no end of hassle. Last time I got in it the door handle fell off :)

You mean you ripped it off.

Hater!

The Pathfinder is nice to drive but god its boring.. :)

Yeah, I know what you mean, every time I jump out of the Navara & into the Swift I feel like I've strapped on a go-kart!

I can never see myself going back to an ordinary car though, the jeep is just too damn useful with the knobbly tyres and they really don't affect it's road manners, at least the way I drive it.

But I think an NA is the way to go.

Then, in a couple of years, when everything else has settled down & the track car is "completed":innocent: you can turn that big engineering brain of yours towards a hitherto unseen engine conversion if you feel like it.

A man like you needs a hobby!

• 1 month later...

Right after looking around for a bit I have decided what I am going to do :)

Once my move is out of the way I am going to build a new Supra up from a bare/rolling shell to a totally Stock looking TT6 Manual.

I test drove a NA and it was a little too slow for me (sorry NA guys)

I will be keeping an eye out for a good shell, it will be stripped and repainted in 1B9 (Quicksilver)

Once I get the shell I will start a new thread.

Quicksilver

you could of chosen a nicer colur. LOL

Lol, I have seen some Quicksilver cars on here and I kinda like them, much better then the usual 199 silver, like I used to own.

I was thinking 040 white, but I already have a white Supra, 202 black and various Red's are just not me, the green (6P3) they did only looks good in the sun as did the coppery colour (1A1).

So defaulted back to 1B9

I want to keep the stock colour codes as I want the car to be a purest

Any other suggestions though would be ideal..