The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New member from Sheffield

Pilchard

Just joined up and thought id say hey. Joined up for some research and a look at the classifieds.

Currently drive a Focus ST (320bhp) and want something more eventful and rwd/4wd. Loved Supras since i was young and now at nearly 25 i want to fufil that childhood dream before big commitments set in.

Budget is around 8-10k, will be used as a daily (5k miles per year). Looking at TT6 manual which may be over budget but i wont dismiss an auto. Need to test drive both. Will eventually get the BPU and leave it at that or buy 1 with it.

To be honest ive never really seen a Supra up close or been in one so thats the first thing i want to do.

Just a few questions, mpg i get currently is around 20 with mostly town driving, am i looking at the same? Also what are they like to live with everyday?

Thanks

Good cars. Boots are a little lacking. But what do you expect in a 3dr sports car. Rear leg room is non existant behind the driver. Espescially if you have legs. My legs are only 31" at 6ft and there is about 2-3" of leg room behind me driving comfortably. I'd consider looking elsewhere if you've got kids.

No kids, enjoy it! Lovely cars even the nas can take most things if your so inclined. (Na auto here and left a s3 from the line yesterday.)

Drivability is down too the owner though. If you have the ability the car will keep going and begging for more.

(Na auto here and left a s3 from the line yesterday.)

Sorry, but...........no. Unless there was something wrong with the S3 or the person did not want to drive like a tool on public roads an NA auto does not stand a chance against an S3, unless you are talking maybe first 10m? Even the old S3's get to 60 in just over 6 seconds iirc.

Lovely cars even the nas can take most things if your so inclined. (Na auto here and got left behind by an a3 1.6D from the line yesterday.)

:p

Hello and welcome, coming from the ST you'll want the TT, really good cars and as you said don't dismiss the auto box, it is really easy to live with and can get the power down just as good as the 5/6 speed manuals in my opinion.

As mentioned, if you have kids with legs, they aren't going to be comfortable in the rear, if you really want a Supra I believe there are certain websites or celebrities who will purchase your kids from you...

Best thing to do is get down to a local meet and see if someone will take you for a spin in one and that might help you make up your mind, for your budget you should be able to pick up a nice example!

Harsh. And he did boot it. 54 plate S3. But it was wet and he span. Not complaining I hooked. A drop is a drop. ;)

He shouldn't be spinning tyres in the wet if it's an S3, the Quattro system all but eliminates wheelspin even in the wet, I know this from previously owning a Quattro 3.2 A3.

Thanks for replies all, no kids or boot space required. Would love to go to a local meet but dont want to look silly turning up in a Ford. Anyone local to me? i know its a bit cheeky but il pay for fuel! Ive got a chance to go in a 650bhp TT but id rather go in a standard/BPU one as thats what il likely be getting.

Another question, whats the differences between facelift and no facelift, plus is the vvti engine any different?

Thanks for replies all, no kids or boot space required. Would love to go to a local meet but dont want to look silly turning up in a Ford. Anyone local to me? i know its a bit cheeky but il pay for fuel! Ive got a chance to go in a 650bhp TT but id rather go in a standard/BPU one as thats what il likely be getting.

Another question, whats the differences between facelift and no facelift, plus is the vvti engine any different?

Don't be embarrassed about turning up in a Ford, I had exactly the same quandary about turning up at a meet in Glasgow in my Audi.

It turns out the peeps on here are mighty friendly and I even got a ride in a BPU TT which confirmed my suspicions that a supra purchase was immenent! :D

From what I believe, front end is different on facelift and side lights and indicators etc and rear lights, and all I can tell you about a vvti is it will probably cost £10k+ to own one. (TT6 that is).

Others will be able to offer you more info than me.

Harsh. And he did boot it. 54 plate S3. But it was wet and he span. Not complaining I hooked. A drop is a drop.

He shouldn't be spinning tyres in the wet if it's an S3, the Quattro system all but eliminates wheelspin even in the wet, I know this from previously owning a Quattro 3.2 A3.

Probably an A3 like Gordy said, badged as an S3. No danger in hell would it spin, and a 56 plate is a rapid car. Anyway as long as you are happy.

Don't be daft, the meet is the best way to look at a few variants. Also as mentioned no worries about turning up in your Ford but politeness is to park in the over flow car parks. Get yourself along to Squires :-)

Welcome to the club.

As above I wouldn't worry about what you turn up in, I turn up in a NA which is sad enough as it is :D

• 4 weeks later...

After alot of research and asking around, Im finally going to sell up and get a Supra. In process of looking for insurance prices. Going to go up to squires next tue, so if you see a orange focus dont hate me :), buying membership this weekend.