The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So the Modding bug has bitten already lol

dangerous brain

I took the old one off and put the new one on, simples :) no parts needed other than the steering wheel.

Mine doesn't have cruise control so I don't really know how it would affect proceedings as I don't know if the cruise control is part of the steering wheel housing or separate from it.

If the cruise control is integral to the steering wheel then maybe one of the rev 3 MR2's or similar year celica came with cruise control?

Mine also doesn't have an airbag system. Dunno if it would be simple to retro fit the wiring and ECU/sensor to make use of the airbag?

I'd imagine that a Celica would be more likely to have cruise control as standard than an MR2 would. Looking on Ebay at a celica it has the same steering wheel I just fitted and say it has cruise control so it would appear that the cruise control switch stuff is in the control column not with the steering wheel. Only way to really tell is by looking at your own car and seeing where the cruise control is.

I do however also recollect seeing a thread about fitting a different Toyota steering wheel and having to trim something to keep the cruise option.

Yup it can be done as suprasstore in the US retail the bad boys for $450 robbing gits! I see the stalk now and where it goes. From memory all you need to do is cut the plastic trim on the back of the steering wheel to accommodate it.

Edited by dangerous brain (see edit history)

The Lexus IS one has that stalk on it so they are out there

cruise control steering wheel.jpg

so you can see in that picture that the stalk just secures to the steering wheel with a couple of screws. There is a hole in the plastic at the back for the stalk to come through.

celica steering wheel back.jpg

And if you look at this one you'll see that there are holes where your cruise control stalk should bolt up.

celica steering wheel front.jpgcelica steering wheel front.jpg

Edited by dangerous brain (see edit history)

i remember seeing a member on here did it and put up a thread with pictures of how he achieved it...... im not 100% but i think it was a member called littler on a black tt supra???

ive searched for it but as of yet no success

You called :D

Here's my thread that your looking for :)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?271923-My-New-Steering-Wheel-With-A-Unique-Mod-FINALLY-FITTED-29-6

By the looks of it just cut the hole in the plastic and the rest is plug and play dude. Sort of what I intimated with the pictures above. Didn't know the resistors were different so buying a steering wheel with a stalk on it already from another car means the stalk from that car wont work. Also picking up on an angular issue resolved by using a facelift model cruise stalk?

All semantics really as I don't have cruise control and even if I did I wouldn't use it as any car I've ever had with it I didn't like it due in no small part to the fact that people don't drive at a constant speed ever!