The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help on whatever happened to my old Supra......

ShawnPreece

I been trying to find out what has happened to my old supra so was wondering if anyone might have seen or know any history on where she might be and what shes like now.

Basically without trying to go into to much detail (which is still a long story unfortunately) i got done over by my old insurance company. unfortunately i had a blowout on driver side front tyre when i was driving the M50 in july 2007 (luckily i was only going about 60mph at the time as i was letting my mate overtake as he was navigator, no other cars were involved and knowone was hurt) but after the incident i got the car trailered home and rang my insurance company. after all the usual rubbish to start it got to the getting a quote part and they told me that they had to pick the car up and take to one of there approved garages to get a quote which i initially declined as i didnt want the car to leave mine and wanted someone to see the car at mine for the quote but they said that it was the only way they could do this. when i finally agreed for them to take the car i made sure it was in the understanding that i had the car back before anything happened to it because it was only bodywork damage and i was thinking i might of found a targa top shell with engine troubles and put my engine and gearbox in it. we then didnt hear anything off the insurance company for 3-4 weeks so i rang the garage that they took the car too to ask what was going on and if they had sorted the quote and they told me that the insurance company had arranged that it was sent to a scrapyard in yorkshire somewhere 2 weeks ago, i got the phone number of the scrapyard from the garage and rang them up and was told that the car had been dismantled and all parts been sold. I still hadnt heard anything from the insurance company by this point and had no offers or anything off them for the car so you can imagine how angry i was feeling at the time. I then rang the insurance company playing dumb and asking what was going on with the car and they said that after speaking to the garage they decided it was a writeoff and that they would offer me £3200 for the car (for a twin turbo manual in great condition and around 90,000 on the odo) i then told them that i knew what they had done and that the car was gone and my next offer off them was £8000, i later agreed at £8500 although i still was not happy as that was only around the value it was worth but i would not have sold it.

Anyway thanks to anyone that has read the above thats just abit of background as to how i parted with it but i do not believe that the car was written off or at least not scraped for parts anyway as there was no way that the amount of damage on that car was enough to write off a supra of that value and as i really miss that car it was my dream car i just lately been trying to find out any information on it, i have done a vehicle check for the registration that was on it and that is no longer recognised but i think it is very likely that it carried on with a different plate on it.

If anyone recognises or knows of any way of finding more out i would be very greatfull.

It was a red 6 speed manual twin turbo on registration L690FEL at the time (july 2007)

was running 380bhp from last dyno

recaro bucket seats

clifford alarm with remote engine start

veilside side skirts and was front bumper only front bumper got ripped off during accident

standard rear spoiler

white wheels (very likely to have changed as 1 was damaged in incident)

here are some pics:

IMG_6575.JPG2615_75853610708_7270170_n.jpg2615_75855300708_1194359_n.jpg2615_75855305708_3635294_n.jpg2276648961a4269620658b876573140l.jpg2276648961a4269620671b184432715l.jpg2276648961a4269620689b720241863l.jpg2276648961a6389477578l.jpgIMG_6577.JPGIMG_6578.JPG

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help as i miss her :(

It would be interesting to see if it's still on the DVLA register. Sounds highly irregular practice, I too would be unhappy, although £8500 seems a very reasonable pay out to me.

Yeah i was very angry at the time as i wanted the car back, it even had my soundsystem still in it aswell.

Check if it has car tax on the deal website. If you have a copy of the v5 you can even check the online MOT register

yeah i did look on http://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk and the car doesnt come up.

Going by the DVLA website the information on L690FEL can't be found, so its either been scrapped like they said or it might be on a private/different plate now

Thankyou for looking yeah i checked on there too and was no record of it, if it had been written off but put back on the road would it have been registered with a new registration plate? was just wondering if there was any way of checking registration details or anything for a certain date so i knew if it had been put back on the road as im fairly sure it would have been. just cant seem to find any way of searching for that information

If you have the VIN plate number I can ask my MOT chap if it's possible to see if it's MOT'd. Not sure if they record the VIN plate these days though. They used to... You need a tame Swansea insider.

As above do you not have the v5 as this had the vin number on it ?

Nah i havnt got the v5 anymore unfortunately and didnt record the vin number, i wish i did still have the information. Thankyou for your help though guys just thought id ask the question incase there was a quick history checker of registrations or anything like that i didnt know of and could of found out then but always thought it was a long shot lol.

Have you got an old mot cert ? Or remember where you had it tested tell them that you have lost the last mot cert and want one for your records as they should be able to look it up on their database. Just tell them it's been off the road for a few years

unfortunately i havnt got any of the service history on it now, I know what garage i used to MOT it at but was quite a few years ago now so not sure that they would be able to help out. was hoping there was going to be a really easy way that i didnt know about by just using the old registration plate lol

I presume as you do not have the V5 you must have sent it to the insurer, which is kind of accepting they have full control over its fate?

yes in the end i did but only after the fee was agreed, at the point that they sent the car away to the scrapyard to be dismantled (which i still very strongly doubt that it was dismantled) there had been no offers or even contact from the insurance company since they had taken the car in to do a quote.

I was tempted to take it further as in my eyes it was technically theft as the car wasnt theres to send off to the scrapyard and was still my property at the time they did it so i could of asked for it back and to cancel the claim at any time. Which i was thinking of doing so that i could put the engine and gearbox in a targa top shell at some point. In the end i just accepted the 8500 as it was less hassle.

An interesting legal question, would be nice to know just what the score is with this sort of thing. I'll ask some people I know. I can understand your concern, for sure.

Thanks, yeah would be nice to know if i could of taken it any further but at the time i only wanted my supra back again and that wasnt going to happen so just thought it was less hassle to take what they offered in the end rather than trying to argue it out with them.