The mkiv Supra Owners Club

overheating problem

barneybrendan

I new the car had overheated previously so fitted thermostat and its still overheating. I checked the. thermostat and that seemed to be working fine. Bottom hose cold top hose boiling. Temperature then goes up into the red.ive flushed the system out as water was just brown rusty, no coolant in there at all.ive had rad cap off and it overheats, rad cap on it overheats.

A blocked radiator perhaps? Waterpump? I have heard of the rad cap breaking and falling in before? I did the coolant when I first got the car years ago but I am guessing if it been overheating it has lost the coolant along the way?

Just something to check...if you have standard rad and viscous fan there is also a small (maybe 5") fan at the bottom of the rad, electric one. I spent almost £1k changing everything in my cooling system before noticing the tiny fan wasn't working. Changed a fuse (pink one under the bonnet) and have never had overheating problems again.

Called round to look at the car tonight and lovely looking motor

We had a go at bleeding with new cap and heard what sounded like a kettle hissing noise from around thermostat area ,had to leave but Brendan said removed and refitted it but when refilling water dripping from behind water pump to block

Now we can only guess that the pump has cracked maybe froze as no antifreeze in it,

He is going to remove it and see so he will post up I'm sure later

Yep. why did I buy another one again hhhmmmm. Dissy driping oil and has been for a while by looks of it. Rocker cover gasket shot can scrape the cruddy oil off side of the head and the block.car not been cared for for a while, thats for sure.

Jasoon had oil from dizzy . Not sure what problem was. Please don't feel bad about another supra mate, sure you will be on the road again soon.

Brendan, as Chris says it could well be the small core plug at the rear of the NA water pump. You can just about get your hand in and put your finger on the plug and I am sure you will feel it wet there. Its a real common problem on the NA and I had one fail within 18 months of replacing it. I used to have a spare one kicking about but gave it to another member who had the same problem.

Doesn't take long to do, it will probably take you longer to find a core plug than doing the job.

This thread explains it in more detail:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?270206-Core-Plugs&highlight=core+plug