The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Appreciating classics

rider

I was browsing around some classic car sites seeing what's in and what's expected to be in. I am thinking of buying an original Triumph Stag but found a couple of US sites that mention the Supra as one car destined for stratospheric pricing with TT6 minters now making over $50k. Checked out Autotrader US and sure enough plenty of cars in there in the $30k up to nearly $60k range with the NA's parked around $15k to $25k.

Its probably a good time for people to stick with their Supras, I have done that with mine over 16 years and it may well one day get back to what I paid for it, who knows maybe more.

][]]&modelCode1=SUPRA&showcaseOwnerId=579471&startYear=1981&Log=0&showcaseOwnerId=579471&captureSearch=true&fromSIP=69F9611880C9A88AAD353679799B317C&showToolbar=true&Log=0&searchRadius=0"]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Toyota/Supra/Fords+NJ-08863?endYear=2015&makeCode1=TOYOTA&mmt=[TOYOTA[sUPRA[]][]]&modelCode1=SUPRA&showcaseOwnerId=579471&startYear=1981&Log=0&showcaseOwnerId=579471&captureSearch=true&fromSIP=69F9611880C9A88AAD353679799B317C&showToolbar=true&Log=0&searchRadius=0

Pretty sure it's 25 years as early R32 GTR's are starting to find their way into the US from here.

I think it may vary by state. Saw something online referring to California 15 year rules on imports though the general ruling seems to be 25 years and some have mentioned 20 years on this site before. I lived in the US for a while and as anyone who has lived there or who watched the first Top Gear episode in the US knows, second hand cars there are not cheap. A large part of that is sales tax applied to second hand purchases, can't think why the government here hasn't cottoned onto charging VAT every time a vehicle is sold through trade.

can't think why the government here hasn't cottoned onto charging VAT every time a vehicle is sold through trade.

Traders pay VAT on any margin(profit) they make from second hand car sales, I appreciate it's not the same as paying 20% VAT of the whole price, but they still pay a bit.

I think it may vary by state. Saw something online referring to California 15 year rules on imports though the general ruling seems to be 25 years and some have mentioned 20 years on this site before. I lived in the US for a while and as anyone who has lived there or who watched the first Top Gear episode in the US knows, second hand cars there are not cheap. A large part of that is sales tax applied to second hand purchases, can't think why the government here hasn't cottoned onto charging VAT every time a vehicle is sold through trade.

Dealers do pay VAT on second hand cars but this isn't charged on the price of the car. If it was then car dealers would be going bust as their would a huge margain between a private sale and trade sale.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/motors/selling-cars.htm

- - - Updated - - -

Traders pay VAT on any margin(profit) they make from second hand car sales, I appreciate it's not the same as paying 20% VAT of the whole price, but they still pay a bit.

Darn you!! :D

What with there being more and more supra being broken and people like jurgen commenting on how hard its getting to import good ones, prices should be going up

I think the biggest factor is this forum, it seems week after week there is more thread crapping on for sale adds making a point that the price is too high

Todays post "overpriced Na auto anyone"

why do people on here take it upon themselves to value other peoples cars ? in the long run your only doing yourself out of money by keeping the price down

In 2009 there were 3000 supras registered on british roads, now today there are only 1500.

So how many of you take in to account that the amount of supras have halfed in the last 5 years when telling someone what THEIR car is worth.

http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/toyota_supra

Guest MINTER

dont think ill ever let go of my supra,got it for little money and its in excellent condition...seems though that the european market is really opening up for UK jap imported motors the last few years,for me in particular ive sold and seen a fair few jap imports being sold to Ze Germans and never once had any haggling in price, price advertised was always sold for,so the demand is there and should increase as numbers fall due to cars being broke etc

if you have a good straight supra they will be worth hanging on to imo.

Edited by MINTER (see edit history)