The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RZ versus RZ-S

RobSheffield

The RZ-S was the facelift which ment the lights and dash were updated and if it was a post 98 then it'll have the VVTI which is 25bhp more.

There's also more chance that an RZ-S will have the larger UK brakes, as I beleive it was then an option after the facelift cars were made which started around August 1996.

I *think* the RZ-S was just a rebadge of the RZ in '96 so that they could make the RZ have more standard equipment? Didn't the RZ get the bigger brakes and wheels as a result of this while the RZ-S was still available without?

If memory serves me right the RZ came with a torsen diff as standard after '96 as it was only available as a 6 speed but the RZ-S continued to offer it as an option with the auto box and standard with the manual.

On the VIN plate the RZ's would have JZA80-ALMVF with the 'V' showing it to be a SZ or RZS, if the V was replaced with a Q it would be an RZ, S shows it to be an SZR and Z a GZ.

I think that's about it but the RZS is the budget version, in Ford speak it's the 'L' whereas the RZ is the LX, the GZ the GLX and the UK spec the Ghia :D

I always thought that all RZ supes were renamed to RZ-S after facelift?

Nope, after the facelift there was the RZ (which was 6sp only, with LSD, big wheels and brakes, Recaro seats) and the RZ-S which was the equivalent of the old RZ and was auto or 6sp, and came with the normal seats, small wheels and brakes as standard (although the big ones were an option). The GZ doesn't exist after the facelift.

Nope, after the facelift there was the RZ (which was 6sp only, with LSD, big wheels and brakes, Recaro seats) and the RZ-S which was the equivalent of the old RZ and was auto or 6sp, and came with the normal seats, small wheels and brakes as standard (although the big ones were an option). The GZ doesn't exist after the facelift.

Ahhhh! Good to know!

:thumbs:

Curious, i have only seen one other RZ-S at a meet and it had exactly the same factory options as mine, I thought the RZ-S was also a little lighter and was more track/race oriented that is why they used it in the Best Motoring Video :-

Best Motoring Video Japan (March 1996) - SUV / RV Battle - Best Motoring Battle

Honda CR-V / Toyota RAV4 / Mitsubishi Pajero Jr. ZRII / Mitsubishi Pajero Mini VRII / Suzuki Wagon R / Nissan Terrano R3-R Limited / Suzuki X-90 / Mercedes E320 / Toyota Crown Majesta C Type i-Four / Toyota Crown 3000 Royal Touring / Nissan Cedric Gran Turismo / Mazda Sentia 929 / Honda Inspire 32V / Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R V-Spec / Mazda RX-7 Type R Bathurst (FD) / Honda NSX / Toyota Supra RZ-S / Mitsubishi 3000GT (GTO-MR) / Ferrari F355 Berlinetta / Porsche 911 Turbo (993)

:thumbs:

I have an 1996 manual RZ-S which has bigger brakes, recaro seats, LSD and 17" wheels that were all factory fitted.

I have a RZ-S, which also has bigger brakes, recaro seats, not sure on the wheels though, as it came with Khans.............

I have a 97.3 RZ-S with Brembo Brakes, Cobra Seats, LSD and 18" Lexus wheels! :D But that just shows I've spent too much cash on my soop.

Mine arrived in the country with small brakes, 16" aftermarket wheels, standard seats and LSD.

I've got the Toyota brochures somewhere that state what the standard equipment was, and it's definitely as I said. The LSD was standard on manual RZ-Ses and optional on the autos, and the other stuff was optional too including the uprated ABS etc. The RZ was the top of the range one, the RZ-S was more optional.

I thought mine was an RZ-S initially - I take it people who are saying they have an RZ or RZ-S have confirmed this with the chassis plate? It's the 2nd to last letter of the model code, Q (RZ), S (SZR), V (SZ or RZS), Z (GZ).

More info on the models & stuff on the New Zealand site under "specs" - New Zealand site.

Ah, I've found the brochure, this is from a 99 Japanese brochure:-

RZ

RZ-S

The rest can be found on the US site http://www.mkiv.com under specifications.