The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supra n/a performance

Guest oldmanam

Guest oldmanam

Hi,

Been looking at buying a na. Question is how is its performance?

My friend as a insignia vxr and we go out for drives etc. Would the supra na keep up?

From searching on here and the Web the figure are:

220bhp, 0-60 6.1, 0-100, 17.1

Insignia 320bhp, 0-60 5.9, 0-100 not sure

Is the small difference in performance a result of the insignia being a heavy motor?

Well the NA supra weighs 1460kg and the insignia weighs 1610kg so that's 150bhp per ton for the supra and 200bhp per ton for the insignia. So yea the insignia will be quicker.

If I was you I would rather pay for an auto TT supra as its much quicker. Especially at BPU levels. This is coming from someone who's driven a auto TT and owned an NA manual.

Guest oldmanam

Yeah tt would be good. Budget won't go that far just now as it's my 2nd motor. decent na I could get for 3k where a tt about 6ish. prices are based on searching on line and asking a member on this forum.

I was wondering when a remark like that would appear:rolleyes ,Its time some stop slating the N/A off Its getting pretty boring now

This is after all a SUPRA owners club and you enjoy what you can afford.

Welcome to the club bud

Guest oldmanam
I was wondering when a remark like that would appear:rolleyes ,Its time some stop slating the N/A off Its getting pretty boring now

Welcome to the club bud

Thanks for the welcome. I'm not slating the n/a, I thought 0-60 for 220bhp car that's about 20 years old was good.

The n/a has its advantages, manual gearbox, lower maintenance, cost to run etc. However this is coming from someone not ever driving a auto or a na supra or tt for that matter.

I think the NA will be fine to go out for spirited drives with your friend. I doubt either of you will be driving at the absolute limit on public roads anyway so by the time you've thrown some corners in I think the NA has enough power to make it fun. The TT on the other hand will trounce the Insignia, well my previous BPU auto TT did anyway!

I dont mean you bud, Its the ones who should know better,

Quote"The n/a has its advantages, manual gearbox, lower maintenance, cost to run etc

This is the quote they should have come out with,Theres always some smart remark which is better kept to themselves imo

Not many like the N/A on here

Quote"The n/a has its advantages, manual gearbox, lower maintenance, cost to run etc

This is the quote they should have come out with,Theres always some smart remark which is better kept to themselves imo

It's called banter. It has been going on for years. Most take it with a pinch of salt and as a joke, which is how it is intended.

Don't take it to heart.

Guest oldmanam
I think the NA will be fine to go out for spirited drives with your friend. I doubt either of you will be driving at the absolute limit on public roads anyway so by the time you've thrown some corners in I think the NA has enough power to make it fun. The TT on the other hand will trounce the Insignia, well my previous BPU auto TT did anyway!

Yeah your right wouldnt be ripping it. Just don't want to be left standing.

Edited by oldmanam (see edit history)

Guest oldmanam

Oh Ok. I take it you have a na? How do you find the performance?

I own a N/A and trust me it's great fun if you upgrade things in the handling department they are great in the twisties but they do lack that little bit of oomph when you hit the straights but they are a supra and look stunning whatever the spec :thumbs:

Also I've driven a TT6 bpu and that scared the $#!# out of me so I'm content with the N/A for now :)

I've never seen the official 0-60 stats for an NA, but it is not in the low 6s, probably around the early-mid 7s. Will top out at over 140mph though I would have thought.

I'd say it was in the mid to high 6's, my Type R was 6.4s to 60 & NA wasn't too far off. High end without a doubt was quicker!

15.1 was the quickest time I got at SantaPod when it was NA & that was with the bung stuck in the exhaust & full audio setup including sub amp etc.

Edited by Abz (see edit history)

Guest oldmanam
I chose my na over a turbo, runs 14.3's all day long and I wouldn't swop mine for a turbo either.

I'll put pics up of it on sat.

14.3 are you referring to 1/4 mile or 0-100? What about 0-60, what's the performance like?

You completed any mods?

Guest oldmanam
I'd say it was in the mid to high 6's, my Type R was 6.4s to 60 & NA wasn't too far off. High end without a doubt was quicker!

15.1 was the quickest time I got at SantaPod when it was NA & that was with the bung stuck in the exhaust & full audio setup including sub amp etc.

The number vary alot on the Web, some one had 7.8 which didn't seem right, the figures I posted where gathered from here.

Welcome to the club bud

large car. and its slow ... in honesty you need a tt then bpu it if funds allows there a real weapon at bpu

I had two N/A Supras before my TT and I wish I hadn't bothered with them they were so slow and funnily enough used more fuel than my BPU TT.

I remember I swapped my Rev 2 MR2 Turbo for my first N/A when I was 18 after a week of owing the Supra I wanted my MR2 back quite badly just for the money you sink into the N/As they don't return the satisfying surge of power when the loud pedal is pushed.

There are better cars out there for the money that will go like stink,cheaper to repair,cheaper to insure,and certainly cheaper on fuel....MR2 Turbos,Glanzas etc.

Autos are quite a bit slower mate, my old N/a manual was a pretty strong car and I got around 7 seconds to 60 in that

About the same as my astra turbo which didn't seem that bad at the time. Still enough power to get the back end out, what more do you want from a NA :D