The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A to 1JZ GTE What's involved?

Axl

As thread title suggests has anyone done this conversion and could point me in the right direction of a write up on it I'm interested in mating the 1jz to a w58 so my main questions are bell housing issues and electrical problems :)

Any information would be appreciated thanks :)

AFAIK mating W58 to 1JZ is straight fit, electrics are more complicated, I made custom harness to mine so didn't have to cut any wires at all, it's plug and play between Supra internal loom and 1JZ. Other things you wil have to do is: engine mounts from 2JZ, fuel pressure valve from 2JZ (otherwise you wont be able to fit fuel line there), 2JZ fan, heater matrix pipes from 1JZ, accelerator line from 1JZ, front tow hooks from 1JZ (otherwise SMIC won't fit - unless you plan FMIC).

Guest FullAttack

W58 is indeed a straight fit if you have the correct bellhousing from a 2jzge. I don't recommend this, it will break sooner or later, probilly sooner.

R154 is a much stronger box, but price is higher.. Iv got a couple of bellhousings i can sell should you go this route.

The wiring is hag, but it's been done many times into Surpa's so the info is out there. Wilbo666.com is your friend when it comes to wiring. :)

Hmmm food for thought thanks for the info guys :) I don't want to go na-t with my car and this looks like a good way of getting turbo power but keeping my w58 and cheaper than a 2jz gte has anyone done a project build thread on this??

Guest FullAttack

Iv built and seen alsorts.. Mainly do 1j's into anything.. Every w58 shits itself with turbo powers.. And then end up getting an R154 anyway.. The white Supra I had a while ago was a NA manual, the dude put a 2jzgte in it and the box failed giving it large out his drive way.. He then got an R154..

If you stick to no more than 320-340hp it'll probilly be ok.. And also depends on width of wheel, ie how much grip you have.

You can sell a w58 setup for half the cost of an R154 setup, while its still working and not in a puddle of Trans oil under your car.. I know of a complete r154 setup forsale at the moment, with lightweight fly, act clutch, genuine Toyota bellhousing, and all the bits and bobs..

Or get a mortgage and get a v160... Or better still, I use an E46 M3 6spd Getrag on my 1j.. Proper conversion kit with Tilton twin plate race clutch..

Edited by FullAttack (see edit history)

I've just finished doing this, but Im auto. It's an easy conversion. Wiring is the hard part but that's not to complicated. I just worked of the info from here.

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/41678224/2JZ-GE%20JZA80%20Supra

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/47216384/1JZ-GTE%20JZZ30%20Soarer

I will be posting up a wiring list once I've had chance to re wright it.