The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra prices

lewysdanny

Thought I start this thread as something I,ve observed recently .

As this Club / forum is by far the most knowledgeable , and most innovate on the net ,members and non members come here for advice, and thoughts / ideas of experienced members on this forum.

So bearing this in mind surely to put the iconic Supra on a more prestiege basis we the people of this forum should decide what a car is worth in monetary terms .

I,ve got a thread in the classified section and had a few comments regarding the price I have my car for sale . Now even though I accept this is a forum and therefore comments will be made , to have comments on a sale thread referring to what a members is asking for his/her car and then justifying their comments by the term " its my opinion " just puts the thread on a negative footing regarding the price .

Surely that's what Supra chat other forum sections are designed for .

If we as members of the best Supra club on the net decide our car is worth x , then other members on the same forum decide its not worth x but worth y which is a vastly lower price than what the seller wants to accept , by making their comment relegates the price in potential buyers minds regardless of the cars condition and money spent achieving this end, and thus keeping Supra prices to stagnate.

So in essence before members on here complain about how low the price of Supras are, its only us, the owners, that can do anything about this .

In my case if I don't achieve near the asking price I,ll take it off sale ( even though I,m in financial meltdown ) if just to stop the price dropping so far, and keeping these iconic cars prices from stagnating .

This isn't a rant just an observation .

I agree. I don't think comments like "it's over-priced" contribute anything to For Sale threads. In many cases it is over-priced, but that will become apparent when it doesn't sell. It's not even a service to the seller, because rightly or wrongly, those comments drive down price expectations, and the commenter has no control over how far they'll drive them down.

If people don't have anything constructive to say in For Sale threads, then best not say anything.

Shhh wait till I can afford a supra before doing this. Then we can raise the prices :D

Honestly I think the supra is worth as much as an r34 GTR if not more in my eyes but if they cost that much many of us wouldn't even have a supra. Its a catch 22 unfortunately! :(

They are certainly going up in Japan and the auctions. Jurgen was telling me it's getting harder to get hold of them at the prices he was. He used to quite regularly have them in stock from 9-12. Not now!!

Hope they sore :-) I might not feel as bad after paying ... Shipping, sales tax, auction tax, import duty... Things I know I'll never get back unless prices go thru the roof 👍

Shhh wait till I can afford a supra before doing this. Then we can raise the prices :D

Honestly I think the supra is worth as much as an r34 GTR if not more in my eyes but if they cost that much many of us wouldn't even have a supra. Its a catch 22 unfortunately! :(

Hiay mate , I agree with what you say, to a point . But reaction to that is ... if you were looking for a Ferrari , and just had enough funds to buy it, but not enough money to keep it serviced, and in overall good condition , why buy the Ferrari ? Surely you would be better off waiting till you can afford the whole deal .

They are certainly going up in Japan and the auctions. Jurgen was telling me it's getting harder to get hold of them at the prices he was. He used to quite regularly have them in stock from 9-12. Not now!!

Hope they sore :-) I might not feel as bad after paying ... Shipping, sales tax, auction tax, import duty... Things I know I'll never get back unless prices go thru the roof

Lovely car you have, just had a peek in your garage. As long as you don't modify it much, I think yours will command good money.

Lovely car you have, just had a peek in your garage. As long as you don't modify it much, I think yours will command good money.

I'll say cheers too as he's quoted my comment ha. Can't remember what pics are in there now... Use tapa T and can't see garages on this. It's been lowered (but kept stock stuff in loft), BPU'd also kept entire exhaust system) added OEM footwell lights, rear pods, OEM roof spoiler to go on and OEM hood scoop is just days (hopefully) from going on too. And unless I get some DC5 seats it'll stay as is now.

If people don't have anything constructive to say in For Sale threads, then best not say anything.

100% agree with this, although 'constructive' could be interpreted in different ways by different people - constructive to some may mean pointing out when something is over-priced so that other members don't get caught paying more than they should for something (whether it's a car or parts). In my opinion, comments on things being overpriced shouldn't be allowed, and it should be up to prospective buyers to do their homework to make sure they're paying a fair price.

Hiay mate , I agree with what you say, to a point . But reaction to that is ... if you were looking for a Ferrari , and just had enough funds to buy it, but not enough money to keep it serviced, and in overall good condition , why buy the Ferrari ? Surely you would be better off waiting till you can afford the whole deal .

That's exactly what I'm saying. Being able to afford and run one are two different things. If I had the funds to buy one I could afford to run it etc. It is the initial cost that is proving difficult especially with rising prices.

The issue for me personally is I have to move first before I can even get another supra which is more money. What I'm fearful of is that in a year or twos time when I can start looking ill need to save that much more just to get the supra. To be fair I am talking TT6s here but still.

Your car looks very nice and I agree whether something is expensive or not its best not to mention it in the for sale thread. either way, if someone wants your car then they'll have it, the supra is a niche market and it can take a long wait to sell :(

the prices doo keep rising in past 4 months i initialy contacted jurgen and have had to go back to saving some more and now back again saving more again to afford to get one. price has risen about 2k this is for a TT 6speed. is bad for buyers but good for sellers.

Another note i have seen and commented on your thread. nothing to do with the price and dont know of you can take it as constructive. Any ways i think that you have it fairly price if anything it should be a price you are happy to part with it and not the price that someone wants to buy it. of someone wants something bad enough they will cough up the dough.and buy it. is what i will be doing but i want to make sure that i can afford to run one of these beauty's

good luck with your sale i do hope that those comments of price ect havent damaged your sale if so then shame on them not helping a fellow member out.

glws

o/

Ant

I don't think the car you're selling is overpriced at all, it's a pretty desirable model and has really nice custom bits. Of course people are going to say things are overpriced if they can't afford it but want it for less to try and make you drop it a bit, but if I had the cash I'd buy it straight away. Good luck selling it though it looks really nice.

Hey guys , this isn't a rant over whats been commented on my sale thread , its just an observation that I noticed recently.

Wether you agree or not , if we as a club cannot refrain from comments that have potential to de-value members cars , then I would suggest that this iconic marque will forever be under valued and then remain in the " Doldrums ".

Oh and just as a PS if my car doesn't sell by Mon /Tues next I,ll keep it and take it off the road , the dealer that made me an offer , I feel , is too low , but if I were to accept it that wouldn't help me financially ( losing too much £ ) or , it might even confirm in some buyers minds that these Supras can be bought at very low prices fot what these car should really command , and only us the owners can determine weather we sell cheap, or what the true value is thus undervaluing our own cars .

Edited by lewysdanny (see edit history)

In my opinion, it's worth whatever the owner is willing to take for it.

Take mine for example:

1993 JSpec NA-TT W58

Extensive bodywork, BPU.

Quite simple I know, but I'm not going to drag this out.

My insurance agreed value is £8500.

To that end, I wouldn't let it go for less than £8000. I'd be better off writing it off. (Not that I would)

Most people would say mine is worth circa £6k - £7k MAX.

At the end of the day, if someone is selling their PRIDE AND JOY, then telling them it isn't worth what they are asking, is very harsh. Unless of course they are asking £8k for a prefacelift NA ;)

I think we may need to crack down on things like this a bit, as mods.

Unless the OP asks for feedback on the price, nobody should comment. It isn't exactly going to help the sale is it?

You may as well claim it has been in an accident or the mileage clocked if you are going to cock up someone's for sale thread.

H.

In my opinion, it's worth whatever the owner is willing to take for it.

Take mine for example:

1993 JSpec NA-TT W58

Extensive bodywork, BPU.

Quite simple I know, but I'm not going to drag this out.

My insurance agreed value is £8500.

To that end, I wouldn't let it go for less than £8000. I'd be better off writing it off. (Not that I would)

Most people would say mine is worth circa £6k - £7k MAX.

At the end of the day, if someone is selling their PRIDE AND JOY, then telling them it isn't worth what they are asking, is very harsh. Unless of course they are asking £8k for a prefacelift NA ;)

I think we may need to crack down on things like this a bit, as mods.

Totally Agree :thumbs: Good post.

Things are worth what people are willing to pay ultimately, thats the bottom line, whether your car is up for a grand or 10. And if people comment on your for sale thread just rise above it, its a public forum and people are surely allowed to voice opinions? Other than that just lock the for sale thread so only the admin can add to it.

And my personal view on values, a Soarer or Aristo are as good a car as a Supra, and just look at the values there, the only think keeping Supra prices up is the F&F factor. That has to wane at some point and when it does, all thats left is a large, 20+ year old Japanese car :)

And my personal view on values, a Soarer or Aristo are as good a car as a Supra, and just look at the values there, the only think keeping Supra prices up is the F&F factor. That has to wane at some point and when it does, all thats left is a large, 20+ year old Japanese car :)

The Soarer and Aristo weren't available with the Getrag gearboxes. Plus, most people in the market for a GT or a Sports car will much prefer the looks of a MKIV Supra over a Soarer or Aristo.

I just think it's a shame that Toyota didn't produce a lighter weight JZA80 that used the VVTi 1JZ and R154. That would have been some car :cool:

I think there is a certain level of denial going on in here. The cars age is heading over the 20 year marker and there's relatively loads of them. The market price is driven by the mean. That is an average of the utter piles of dog turd to the pristine. There are increasingly more turds about as the financial position of the country has bitten more and more. I'd have a tendency to agree the marque would have held its values a lot stronger had there been no imports similar in fashion to Honda NSX prices for instance. In the seven years since I sold my last one the price of fuel has rocketed and the economy has slumped twice. If you genuinely believe that the marque has improved its standing in the overall market across that time so that a car can hold respectively the same value whilst racking up miles and age then I sympathise with your self inflicted disappointment.

As far as modifications go we all know that financially speaking it is a mugs game. People really do expect something for nothing in the market place and have done for many years. If you want to know the true value of your P&J modification advertise it second hand and see what the real value of it is. Supra brakes seem to me to be the only part that seems to buck that trend. Say you took a 3 grand retrim out of a car and tried to sell it even a week later. You'd be quite fortunate if it got you back a grand.

If you want a strong price for a high condition car you need time and fortune on your side. Without both of those things in your favour some shrewd bugger is going to walk away with your hard earned. It's unfortunate but it is true.

In comparison to numbers sold, few Supras came with the Getrag either.

That's one of the reasons why the 6 speeds are worth such a premium.

When considering Supra values, 6 speed cars might aswell be a completely different car to any other variation, the value of the gearboxes will always make these cars relatively valuable. Prices of 6 speed TTs have generally gone up in recent years, and I doubt they'll go down again.