The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying a supra - need advise

JackyBoi

Hi everyone. I'm not expecting even one reply to this thread since I'm brand new to this forum but here goes anyway. I'm 18 years old (yes I know why am I buying a Supra at the age of 18) and planning to buy a Supra MKIV. I don't need to worry about insurance as my family have a huge split policy which I can get added onto for cheap. Anyway, I have a £10,000 budget for EVERYTHING to do with the car itself, and I'm struggling between choice.

Would I be better off buying a twin-turbo Supra for around £9,000 and then spending the small remainder of the money on minor modifications, or would I be better off buying a naturally aspirated Supra for around £3,500 and then spending the rest of the money on a full single-turbo conversion (this cost around £5,000 for the lot) and then the rest of the money on, again, other small modifications? I only want advice as this will be my second car and I want to make sure that I do this perfectly; I'm a huge car enthusiast, especially when it comes to JDM imports, so I want to get whatever I will gain the most reliability, power, and fun out off. I've heard from other Supra owners that I'd be better off getting the stock twin-turbo model and just adding bits and bobs to that, but again, I've been told that you can run a fully customized single-turbo conversion on a Supra and get close to 800rwhp alone?! You can see why I'm slightly confused.

An honest answer would be hugely appreciated!!

By the way, I currently drive a 1.6l Vauxhall Corsa, and therefore am aware that even getting a totally stock Supra N/A would still blow my brains away, but I want more poweerrr!

Cheers :D

Personally I would get a twin turbo, get used to the power and then think of going single turbo. There are some very good examples in the for sale section. You need to be a member (£10) in order to trade/buy from here. 10k is more than enough, infact there is a single turbo for sale (orange one) for around 11k ONO I believe. Save all the hassle of modifying!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?306689-1994-RZ-Single-turbo-auto

Edited by supra_ufo (see edit history)

I'm not expecting even one reply to this thread since I'm brand new to this forum but here goes anyway.

Harsh. We're not *that* unfriendly! :)

What end-result do you want? A twin turbo car, or a single turbo car? If you don't know, I'd say go for a twin turbo. You can modify the twin turbo to be single turbo later, but the other drivetrain components will be more likely to withstand the extra strains that a single turbo will put on it.

A single turbo Supra can be reliable, but it's a highly modified machine. If you don't want to spend the time and money getting it built and mapped properly, go for a twin turbo.

Guest Nicholas

Have you ever driven a RWD car before? if not I'd suggest getting an n/a learn how to drive it and then do an na-TT/TT single turbo conversion. So many Supra's get written off from driver inexperience.

Yes, I've been doing some sampling with the family insurance with different models and years of the Supra; cheapest was £1,499 and most expensive was something like £3,000. I even have an SP30 :innocent:

By the way, forgot to mention it MUST MUST MUST be a 6-speed manual. I wouldn't dare spend all this money on a Supra if it was an automatic, I think that just absolutely kills the thrill of the ride and having total control over the rev range!

Sounds like, for now, a stock TT would be the way to go then? It's always important to try and buy one that hasn't been molested and thrashed, which I think is true with the majority of single-turbo conversions.

By the way, forgot to mention it MUST MUST MUST be a 6-speed manual. I wouldn't dare spend all this money on a Supra if it was an automatic, I think that just absolutely kills the thrill of the ride and having total control over the rev range!

Depends how you wish to use the car, the Auto is a very good transmission especially around BPU power levels.

Guest Nicholas
which I think is true with the majority of single-turbo conversions.

Not sure I agree with the above but good luck with your search :)

But surely you just wouldn't feel as much power as a manual? Of course an auto Supra would still be very quick indeed, I'm just saying, a manual seems like it would be much nicer and faster to drive. I've driven auto's in the past and haven't liked a single one of them... Apart from my dads C220 :D

But surely you just wouldn't feel as much power as a manual? Of course an auto Supra would still be very quick indeed, I'm just saying, a manual seems like it would be much nicer and faster to drive. I've driven auto's in the past and haven't liked a single one of them... Apart from my dads C220 :D

The Supra is faster with an auto 'box.

My BPU auto Supra feels like it hits harder when coming on second turbo then Parry_10 750bhp Manual Single does.

Have you ever driven a RWD car before? if not I'd suggest getting an n/a learn how to drive it and then do an na-TT/TT single turbo conversion. So many Supra's get written off from driver inexperience.

Exactly this, driving a 1.6 Corsa to driving a Twin Turbo RWD Supra is completely different!! We get too many threads here of, just brought my Supra... just crashed my Supra and nearly killed myself every year.

From someone who has owned an auto and currently has a 6 speed that is completely not true. I had just as much fun if not more in my auto Supra then I do with my manual. It is insane how quick the gears change and that thud in the back when it down shifts, squats and just shoots off!!

Okay, I think I'm asking the wrong question...

If YOU (yes you, the person who is reading this post right now) had no car and had a budget of £10,000 to spend on a Supra, not including tax or MOT or insurance or anything else, which Supra would you buy?

I fully appreciate that I am essentially going from a 1.6l naturally aspirated FWD hatchback to a 3.0l twin-turbo RWD coupe, but I have plenty of off-road experience with racing, I assure you I can control a RWD car. Maybe no a Supra, but practice makes perfect, does it not? :D

If YOU (yes you, the person who is reading this post right now) had no car and had a budget of £10,000 to spend on a Supra, not including tax or MOT or insurance or anything else, which Supra would you buy?

Stock TT6 and some driver training lessons. It'll be the best cash you spend on the Supra.

The Supra is faster with an auto 'box.

Deffo agree with Gaz6002 , I,ve had auto, then 6spd man , and now back to auto , all TTs . When I sold my 6spd I actively searched for a auto tt as a straight swap, or p/x . Before you make judgement try getting a drive of a auto, and then a manual .

My present auto is noticeably quicker than my 6 spd bpu and so much faster getting to the speed your looking for . At 18 you need to drive a Supra in a safe environment before taking to the road , ( unless you go by the name of L Hamilton ) .

Bump!

The thing is, no matter how much experience you've got, the Supra takes a while to learn properly so getting yourself familiar in an off-road environment is priceless.

I've done all manner of driver training, competitive driving at various levels and I have owned a few Supras, so would like to think I'm fairly well qualified in this area.

That said, you shouldn't be intimidated by the Supra either. It's not a widow-maker. Just a bit of a handful :)