The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Matching numbers

Gaz6002

I saw this phrase in a thread today so thought I'd open up my own one for people who search for it.

'Matching numbers' is a phrase we're all going to have to become familiar with on this site.

It refers to a car whose chassis number matches the mechanical components of the car. That means it's as Toyota intended and hasn't had an engine swap, a gearbox conversion or a diff replacement.

A matching numbers Supra will always be more valuable than an equivalent modified version.

For instance, a low-miles matching numbers UK-spec TT6 would be highly desirable, but less so if it's an import NA of the same year converted to the same specification.

We're at a period now where it's likely the properly desirable Supras are going to increase in value fairly quickly, so I suspect we'll be hearing this phrase more and more :)

Thanks Gaz. Here's a couple of questions:

1) To take the phrase literally, what numbers are supposed to match? If someone claims to have a matching numbers Supra, what could a potential buyer look for to verify that claim?

2) A related question: if a car has had a like-for-like part replacement, would it still be considered a matching numbers car? For example, if a UK TT6 has had its original gearbox replaced for another V160 (because of a fault with the original), would that car still be a matching numbers car?

1) To take the phrase literally, what numbers are supposed to match? If someone claims to have a matching numbers Supra, what could a potential buyer look for to verify that claim?

2) A related question: if a car has had a like-for-like part replacement, would it still be considered a matching numbers car? For example, if a UK TT6 has had its original gearbox replaced for another V160 (because of a fault with the original), would that car still be a matching numbers car?

Gear box, engine, chassis I believe.

(Sorry, re-read, where to find these numbers I'm clueless. Prob have to all original paper I'm guessing.

And no, like for like swaps removes it from matching numbers also.

Fast 'n' loud and wrecks to riches (USA) taught me that :-)

The VIN. From there you can decode which engine, diff and gearbox should be fitted using the guides on here and tally everything up.

That's a very good question. Technically it wouldn't be a matching numbers car if any of the parts had been swapped for new ones, but obviously in some cases it's completely unavoidable.

This situation should we dealt with in a car advert really to avoid any confusion. After all, a car that's done 21,000 miles on the original engine is going to be worth more than one that's had its engine swapped. There's the question of why it was swapped and also uneven wear on the rest of the car's components to consider.

Was going to say that my understanding is the gearbox is a bonus but not a requirement for matching numbers

It affects the resale value of the car, and so has to be taken into consideration IMO. A converted auto is worth less than a true manual car since it's been modified.

This is only strictly relevant if you intend ever to sell your Supra. Mine IS still "numbers matched", but as I intend to be buried in it I'm not going to sweat that situation being changed if there's a modification that I want to make. ;)

This is something I'm familiar with in e-types and is something I'm looking at with buying my next Supra. Are there chassis numbers on the engine block or gearbox? Daft question I know but from having a number of engines and gearboxes in the past I can't recall seeing a reference to the chassis it came from (I can't say I've particualarly ever looked though :D)?

Funny thing is, I was watching some Car Restoration show on TV 2 nights back and they had an old classic on there (cant remember what now) - Corvette Stingray I think? and this is exactly one of the arguments they had in terms of value. They did find the guy who used to own it and then rebuild the original engine etc as he still had it in a lockup.

Agree though, hence why my car will be worth pennies in future :D

I guess I'm in the group that couldn't care less if numbers match, as long as it's in good nick and runs well, i'd be happy to purchase. Will be checking my own tonight, though it's so close to standard that I can't see them not matching :)

That's a very good question. Technically it wouldn't be a matching numbers car if any of the parts had been swapped for new ones, but obviously in some cases it's completely unavoidable.

You wouldn't really be able to tell if a like for like swap had happened on the engine, gearbox or diff as there is no matching numbers, just a code.

Or am I getting that wrong?