The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Great club spirit yet again

Shane

A few weeks ago Mr Cull (AKA Mark) advertised his NA 5sp on here and I was interested, but a) was looking for something a tad cheaper and b)wanted an auto. Spike3.0 (AKA Andy) had asked Mark if he would do a PX and was turned down. So I went out on a limb and did something I rarely do, I bought Mark's car without seeing it, but based my buy on his description and photos. Andy and I then came to a deal on his non running NA Auto and again I took that without seeing it, and in fairness Andy, took the manual without seeing it.

I then used Littlenum to do the moving around between Leicestershire and Cheshire and then down to me in Northants and finally got the car back to mine.

Have had to spend quite a few hours on it to get it started, but David p came over on Saturday and we finally got to the bottom of the issue.

The car seems to have had a long history of non starting and to cut a very long story and many hours short, we believe the original cause of it's problems was diesel in the fuel. Someone had then changed the injectors and rail and left the plastic spacer and bolt out one of the rail's fixing points, resulting in a warped rail and 3 poorly injectors and seals. Luckily I had a set and we got these on but still had starting issues with the car, the first time you cranked it it would fire momentarily but then was as dead as. After lots and lots of checking and double checking we realised that the injectors just were not being fired properly, although I could see 12 volts on the relevant ecu plug pins and if these were grounded we could hear them opening. Fuel pressure was checked and good as was timing and spark.

I then moved onto checking voltages at various pins at the ECU and discovered we had 7.6 volts on the 5v leg of the Map sensor and 2.6 volts on the gnd leg of the MAP sensor and the ecu with respect to the -ve at the battery. Whoever had changed the injectors originally had left an earth off, David found this tucked up behind the runners and as soon as it was connected it burst into life. We are guessing the tags had been sometimes making contact with the block and that's how it has sometimes been starting in the past. There were lots of other silly faults like the vacuum pipe to the MAP sensor connected to the carbon canister and things like that, but the main cause was undoubtably down to the earth cable not being connected.

So, big thanks for Mr Cull and Spike3.0 for making sure the deal happened, thanks to James (littlenum) for the great service he provided moving the cars around the country at a sensible price and thanks to David for giving up his time on Saturday afternoon to come and assist and verify I wasn't going mad.

Still loads to do to get it ready for an MOT, but it's a lot closer now.

The down side of all this, is that the Missus is now a Supra owner too and if she signs up here I will have to fess up to how much I sometimes spend on my car!

Edited by Shane (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Top man Shane for all you efforts in making all the arrangements.

I am glad you ended up with a car that you are happy with.

The last I heard spike3.0 (aka Andy) was really happy with my old car.

Hope you still are(!?)

I know I'm not the most frequent poster on here but have mostly kept owning Supras over the last 8 years because of the knowledge and character of people involved in this club :)

Just checking in!

It was most certainly an out of the blue period. I rarely comment too, so posting on a for sale thread was a very rare thing.

But it's all turned out very well, I'm very happy with my new manual Supra.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?309375-Supra-N-A-project-number-4

There's a lot to do, and I'm going to enjoy it all!

Shane deserves a huge pat on the back for making this happen, especially as he's still sorting out deals like selling me a decat cheap : )

Looking forward to a meet one day where we can show them off and look back at this crazy few days of trading.

Cheers to Shane, Mr Cull and Littlenum

Edited by Spike3.0 (see edit history)