The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1jz wiring help.

thomo8568

So I've fitted a 1jzgte out of a soarer in to my supra. Done the wiring. The car starts and runs. Had to do 12v fuel pump mod. But most of my dash doesn't work. Only warning lights I get are the big red engine stop light and the oil pressure light. None of the others light up at all not even when ignition is on without engine running. Rev counter doesn't work ether. But have found a mod that needs doing for that.

I'm thinking maybe a power or earth problem. So going to check this tonight.

Anyone got any other ideas as what the problem would be?

Cheers

Ian

Guest FullAttack

There's an output on the Soarer loom for rev counter.. You just need to find the corresponding wire in the car to connect it too..

Same for the speedo.. Best bit of advise i can give is Google Wilbo666 1jz..

If you've still got the old engine loom you'll be able use that to find the wires you need to find on the car.

Edited by FullAttack (see edit history)

Guest FullAttack

Rpm should work too.. It's just a pulse signal once per revolution, so you can take it from anywhere you get one pulse per rev. It's just finding the cab,e in the car to connect it to.. I wouldnt bother trying to solder stuff into the instrument cluster when you just need to find the right cable to connect to.

I recently did a jzx90, no wiring diagrams exist, so I made my own.. Took a lot of continuity testing and ball scratching, but located all the cables I needed to.. Iv done all my connections down in the footwell straight out fuse/distribution board, taken them and repinned them into new plugs so it can be unplugged rather than soldered joints that'd need to be cut if engine was removed.

It gets a tad more complex on IS200's when there's damn multiplex bs to work around.. Can get most the dash to work, but water temp won't work unless you keep original IS ecu and keep the inputs/outputs for the multiplex as they were, so even use the IS temp sensor and wiring back to the ecu.. I usually just fit a standalone temp gauge...lol

After I did my own swap the only thing that didn't work straight off the bat was the charging system.....

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?248972-forum-owned-track-supras-register-and-chat-thread&p=3229345&viewfull=1#post3229345

Be sure you're not in the same situation.

Cheers mate. I've checked the plug and I've got power to 2 ports on the plug, 1 is switched. I've also got a connecter for the battery light. Think the regulator is blown.

Guest FullAttack

Quick way to test the alternator... Make a mini loom with 3x female spade connectors at one end, and a big eyelet at the other end..

Stick the 3 connectors onto the back of the alternator plug.. Stick the eyelet on the big positive terminal of the power output post..

This is tell the reg pack to charge at max capacity all the time.. This is what we do on our drift cars as a permanent thing.. Makes 14.4v all the time.. Helps with spark, big fuel pumps, big fans, etc..

FullAttack - RPM will not work straight from the loom, you need to bypass this resistor shown on pic above. I actually done plug and play 1JZ/2JZ harness in mine, works better as you do not have to cut anything and it fits straight from the box :)

Guest FullAttack

I see.. Iv never really worked with Supras.. With all the other 1j conversions iv done it works.. Its just a pulse signal once per revolution, I can see why it'd be different if it was a 4 or 8 Cyl engine conversion, but I'd have thought a 6 Cyl would work.

What's different with Supra's Konrad?

The stock na rev counter receives a stronger signal/higher current from the na engine than either of the turbo'd JZ engines produce. In order for the na rev counter to register the signal from a TT engine a resistor on the back of the dial needs to be either bridged or, ideally, changed to one with the correct ohm value. The other way to do it is just to fit the TT rev counter.