The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New auto Gear Knob

dangerous brain

The gear knob is worn quite heavily on the car I am picking up this weekend. From memory the one on my old aerotop was the same. It's a bit of a bug bear and makes the interior look untidy. I know there are Razo aftermarket jobbies but I personally don't think these are in keeping with the car. Any ideas on something that looks stock or where to get a good condition stock item from?

Just bought a steering wheel to stick on. Lining up some glass headlights (I think I need bulb holders as well). Almost bought one new UK spec caliper as they only had one side in stock but couldn't remember what a new one costs through Steve Manley (anyone want to let me know that would be appreciated). After that I think I'd like to get a carbon TRD spoiler.

£46 apparently Which aint bad to refresh the interior. Now need to strip the fake carbon off the dash (it's bad enough when it remains bonded on but looks cheap and tacky when it bubbles all over the place) I imagine that I will need to strip all of the rubber coating off as the carbon wrap won't come off without damaging the rubber coating. Time to paint another dash I guess.

Ah so yes not massively expensive at all.

Cheers for the heads up on plastidip that is exactly what I would like the panels to look like although painted gloss black is rather nice too. I imagine no matter what spray on product you use the surface will need to be flat.

do you need to rub it down before using this stuff?

No mate it is self spreading so it evens its self out. You can't go wrong I'm doing my rear boot plastics as there is a few scuffs on them, I will post some before and after pics.

Here's my dash after I plasti dipped it, to give you an idea of the finish

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/08/page9aru.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/08/gaga5ugy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/08/a6ygy2y4.jpg

Any pics of your dash Shaz?

How does it wear?

Would love to do mine!

There you go Josh, Gaz beat me to it :) it's a really good finish didn't finish all my boot plastics but will tomorrow! Ill post some then. It's a good finish like and you can just remove it as you please. Also it protects your original if its in good nick.

Just do it mate its really easy 2 coats maybe 3 if you want it to be really tuff. And when I spray it on I do a very light coat only about 30% coverage, that gives a good bonding coat for the second and 3rd coat.

That looks Awesome! Going to order some now.

What level of prep did you and Gaz both do?

Is it just the aerosol black can that you brought?

Apologies for thread hijack OP!

Yes it's just the "Aerosol Spray - 400ml MultipleColours £7.04p" Black. Works out at £18, don't bother with the extra for next day delivery the standard delivery you have to sign and its with you after 48hrs.

Prep wise all I did was rub down with damp cloth (non fiber) that's it :) honestly It's easier than using a normal spray can you can't go wrong mate.

Yes it's just the "Aerosol Spray - 400ml MultipleColours £7.04p" Black. Works out at £18, don't bother with the extra for next day delivery the standard delivery you have to sign and its with you after 48hrs.

Prep wise all I did was rub down with damp cloth (non fiber) that's it :) honestly It's easier than using a normal spray can you can't go wrong mate.

:thumbs:

Thanks Shaz! Much appreciated!

As above, just build it up in 3 or 4 light coats, leaving 20-30 mins in between. Then leave the parts for about 4 hours after the last coat before handling them.

My dash plastics were previously painted by me, so all I did was give them a light rub down with a scotch cloth, then a good clean with rubbing alcohol - to remove any traces of greasy fingerprints, or wax/back to black.