The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA-T an auto?

dangerous brain

So say you liked the look and condition of an auto NA supra but know you'll get bored of the lack of power very quickly.

Say you were toying with the idea of getting an NA-T job done. Would an auto trans off a TT fit and function as I wouldn't expect an auto trans off an NA to cope with T61-67 level power for long would it? I'm not really crazy for a manual conversion either to be honest. A TT transplant with gearbox is an option but I'd want top end BPU power from that which would probably set me back the same sort of money as an NA-T conversion.

Chances of the right colour aerotop coming up any time local enough in TT that isn't ridiculous money is fairly remote so I'm considering top end BPU hardtops or NA aerotops in good condition before I just give in and buy a black M3 convertible.

OK so that looks like some great info. A supercharger would also be a fantastic solution but by a brief overview it appears to be bespoke engineering by people that know what they are doing and have time in buckets on their hands which is a category I don't fit into nor one I suspect that I can afford as that sort of labour aint cheap.

OK so that looks like some great info. A supercharger would also be a fantastic solution but by a brief overview it appears to be bespoke engineering by people that know what they are doing and have time in buckets on their hands which is a category I don't fit into nor one I suspect that I can afford as that sort of labour aint cheap.

Methinks that you missed the point mate. Only a small part of the info is about David's supercharged beast and then only because it was on David's own car that it all started.

Methinks that you missed the point mate. Only a small part of the info is about David's supercharged beast and then only because it was on David's own car that it all started.

Dude I'm no noob and I can wield a spanner if and when I have time or inclination. A gearbox teardown to this degree is no small job http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=129586&d=1301877666 . I've been around long enough to know it never is as simple as just bolt one bit up to another and it all works as advertised, there is always something that needs fettling or some random little part that you don't have right now which leaves a car sat on the drive looking sorry for itself for however long it takes to source said part (the sort of thing your average mad scientist hoarder gatherer has a variety of everything somewhere if they can only just locate it)

I was actually referring to the supercharger aspect when I posted before. I researched getting a supercharger done some 12 years ago and realised back then that it would be a labour of love or hugely expensive or in fact both. If there was an off the shelf kit available I'd have a supercharger on an N/A any day of any week. A dropped in TT transplant is the easier option but very passe (I also considered a transplant, bought a crashed TT whole but had issues with the engine ie the alternator had been smashed off the block, mounts and all so forgot that idea rapidly when a particularly nice black TT aerotop came up for sale and bought that instead)

Touché! Some of the old timers are still around then chap :) I expected to get a little ribbing for being interested in an N/A not p!ss taking by someone that's been around this gaff for a few weeks!!

I asked a fairly simple question which was will an auto trans for a TT fit and function on an N/A easily enough and where as I doff my cap to David for the work he has done with the supercharger and auto-boxes (I've been following the supercharger thread and updates with avid interest from the start which incidentally Chris88 was over two years before you happened by) a simple yes/no or use the search button would have sufficed :p

Touché! Some of the old timers are still around then chap

yep tough to get rid of me!

David is a proper pioneer, engineer with a dash of mad scientist I think! I think a low boost NA-T would be ok on a stock auto box but its a bit like a W58 on a NA-TT conversion ie a ticking timebomb the fuse length of which depends largely on the users mechanic sympathy!